best/safest way to polish motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best/safest way to polish motor?

My motor is looking a little dirty and old.. I'd like to get her to a new shine. Are there any products anyone would recommend? I've shined up old engine parts before just using steel wool, didn't know if there were products to use or better ideas.

Polishing eh?

Click on any of them you want and read all day. Plenty of polishing fans (and threads) here.

Comment

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere.
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

The search URLs expire after a bit. A title search for "Polish" turns up lots of good results.

Comment

I've had good results like you just using steel wool. Those crankcase covers are covered with a clear coat that turns yellow and oxidizes with age. I've tried various cleaners but I always seem to end up going back to the steel wool.
          If you really want to do it right take the covers off and use a high speed polisher with some metal polish for aluminum, works quicker and ends up looking like chrome.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Sedelen - Aircraft Stripper works wonders on that old clear coat. At least better than trying to sand it all off.......

Comment

You mention the engine needs to be polished. Are you talking about the actual engine or the covers? The engine is painted. The covers are polished aluminum. I've found the best way to polish the aluminum is 1. sand the scratches out using 200 grit, then sand using 400 , then use Emory coumpound on a sisal buffing wheel attached to a drill. I just put mine in a vise. Then use Tripoli on a cotton wheel, then white rouge, then a light duty metal polish by hand. Stirip off the excess polishing compound with mineral spirits in between coats. If your engine covers are just yellowed and not scratched, just strip and polish with a light duty polish. The idea is to never get more aggressive than you need to. Spray over with a high heat clear coat if you want to keep 'em shiny, or just keep polishing them. This is what I've found works best for me.

Comment

Working...
              X