Fairing DImensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing DImensions

Thinking of fabbing up a half-fairing over the winter. Can anyone post some dimensions for their fairings. As I try to sketch out some shapes to brainstorm, the only measurements I have at hand are:

7.5" headlight
    11.25" clubman bars surrounding the triple tree.

Looks like the widths of these fairings are around 15" at the rear and about 10" up front. Some other measurements would be useful, including:

- Distance between the headlight opening and the steering stem

- Distance/gap between the steering stem and the side gap for bar clearance

Obviously I will have to fine-tune these to actually fit the bike, but trying to sketch out the rough size will be easier with some guidelines.

TIA

I think you should go with a fairing like this

Comment

Heh.

I am aiming for something Rickman like.

Comment

If you look at the Glass From the Past website they have some general measurements. I'd like to see a GS with a half fairing, I want to get a ducati style half fairing sometime in the future too.

Width at front: 14"
        Width at upper wing tips: 15"
        Width at lower wing tips: 18"
        Height: 12.5"
        Length: 25

Website

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at those. The bar gaps and margins around the headlight would go a long way toward fleshing things out.

Comment

Could you fab some things out of cardboard with some soft lead/tin strips taped to hold shape?

Possible to cut fold and heat plastic (milk jugs-soda bottles) To hold cardboard shape folded and taped, folds taped for strength and heated for shape requirements?

Thinking may be easy and cheap way to experiment with design.

I don't have the time at present to build a faring as I need to finish some projects but was thinking would give this a try.

Comment

So I cooked up a plug for the half-fairing. After a ton of sanding and shaping, she is taped up and ready for a bunch of wax before laying glass. Here are some pics.

Comment

Looking good. What are you going to use for a screen?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                  Looking good. What are you going to use for a screen?
                  Exactly what I was thinking. It might be a good idea to find one that's close to your idea and then shape the foam to fit it (if you haven't already, that is). That's quite a project to undertake. I hand-made lowers to fit a Honda Interceptor 1/4 fairing to turn it into a full race fairing one time for a CB750F, and it was a pain..not to mention fabbing up all the mounting brackets. That was, of course, before such a great aftermarket or the internet were available. You can get (I'm sure you know) a nice Rickman-style fairing through Airtech for a mere few hundred bux, with the correct screen. They even offer the correct mounting hardware, but it gets a bit pricey with everything combined, probably around $500. Just depends on the time and effort you want to expend building one compared to the cost of just buying the stuff outright.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Plan on fabbing the screen out of plexiglass or lexan. Shape a separate plug for it, cover in tape, then heat the plexi in an oven before laying over the plug.

Snooped around eBay and airtech for fairings, but they quickly get to $500+ for a half-fairing and bracket.

Will make my own bracket from steel bar material. The airtech bracket doesn't look like it will work with my frame, since there is a healthy flange behind the steering column that would interfere with the U-bolt. I plan to tie the bracket to the tank posts instead.

This will be a winter project, of course.

Comment

looks great, love the diy spirit on your bike. I miss sanding and filling for hours....not!
                      1984 GS550ES
                      Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                      4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out, especially the windscreen. Those suckers are expensive to buy

Comment

You're bike is going to look hawt with a fairing.

Comment

Any progress with the fairing and mounts?

Comment

Hey Mister I have a broken fairing/winshield if you want to use it as a template. I don't think I will use it since a piece broke off and another is just plain missing, but dimensions should be close to your bike

Comment

Working...
                              X