140mph speedo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140mph speedo questions

i know i asked this somewhere but i cant find it...

my buddy has offered to trade his 140mph speedometer for my 80mph and $10

his is off a 81 gs 1000 and mine is a 81 gs850...

are the speedometer round aluminum thing on the front wheel the same? will it be a swap an go?

Yes it will work
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The part on the wheel will work, they are all geared the same, but the speedos themselves are quite different. Maybe not true if his 1000 is a 1000G. I tried a 1980 1000E speedo on a 81 850G, it didn't work too well. Check it out carefully before you do it, you might not want to.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The part on the wheel will work, they are all geared the same, but the speedos themselves are quite different. Maybe not true if his 1000 is a 1000G. I tried a 1980 1000E speedo on a 81 850G, it didn't work too well. Check it out carefully before you do it, you might not want to.
        im not to sure what it is...what exactly didnt work?

heres a pic of his bike (on right)..i dont know the difference between g and e

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          i dont know the difference between g and e

That doesn't matter, that's an L. Great for parts, but again I don't know if the parts are exactly the same, they likely have more chrome.....

Your bike isn't exactly stock so maybe it can be made to work.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

i posted my bike up when it was stock..everyone said it was a G...im getting the speedometer thursday...i have a 30 mile ride home so ill post results then...

thanks for the info once again guys

Comment

Your is or was a G, the real deal. His is an L, the dreaded "Ladies" model, lots of pretty chrome, a dainty short and very low seat, bars that come back to you so you don't have to lean forward in an unladylike position, and to accentuate the breasts, a short curvaceous gas tank to look good on short curvaceous riders, and motorboat pipes. Great parts bikes, and great to customise as they have no soul and thus feel no pain from the sawzall.
              Last edited by tkent02; 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Your is or was a G, the real deal. His is an L, the dreaded "Ladies" model, lots of pretty chrome, a dainty short and very low seat, bars that come back to you so you don't have to lean forward in an unladylike position, and to accentuate the breasts, a short curvaceous gas tank to look good on short curvaceous riders, and motorboat pipes. Great parts bikes, and great to customise as they have no soul and thus feel no pain from the sawmill.
                lol i thought i sat awfully low on this bike when i test rode it...i did feel a bit pretty

Comment

For a comparison to a rather stock 1000G, click on the link in my sig for #2 son.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well i ended up trade my 850 tach and speedo for both his gauges..

the 140 mph is dead on..we ran beside each other, me on the bike an him an car and wasnt a 1mpg differnce, so it worked well

and my tach cable is broken...but it should work too...

Comment

FYI E=chain drive "extra" models with mag wheels (all after 1979 I think). G = shaft drive. L = limp, ladies, laughable cruisers that Tkent loves.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                        FYI E=chain drive "extra" models with mag wheels (all after 1979 I think). G = shaft drive. L = limp, ladies, laughable cruisers that Tkent loves.

limp...he wasnt to happy when i told him what the L meant on that 1000...but at least its a bike i guess in my eyes

Comment

I have a 1977 GS550E

Comment

The 83 L 140 I just put on my G/K was a different size, the rack behind them needed to be changed, lost my sun cover that goes over them, no biggie, But it was my holding spot for my rubber lizard I found roadside on a ride once 3 years, the one time it wasn't on my bike it fell over. hm
                            Nevertheless I like the 140, thee G/K does also.

Comment

Your is or was a G, the real deal. His is an L, the dreaded "Ladies" model, lots of pretty chrome, a dainty short and very low seat, bars that come back to you so you don't have to lean forward in an unladylike position, and to accentuate the breasts, a short curvaceous gas tank to look good on short curvaceous riders, and motorboat pipes. Great parts bikes, and great to customise as they have no soul and thus feel no pain from the sawzall.
                              funny as hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X