Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting naked!!

Now that I have your attention.....
    As I'm still working on my bike, getting where I want it, I'm now looking at removing things I don't need. I've already removed the entire rear fender and splash guard assembly, put a bobbed fender on the front, and a couple other little odds and ends.
    Next up are the exhaust mounts. Since I'll be running baffled straight pipes, I don't need them. Looking closely, it looks like the swing arm bolt passes through the exhaust mounts. So, that means I need to pull that bolt out to remove the left side mount, it appears.
    Is there anything I need to watch out for doing this? I know there's needle bearings in there somewhere. Will pulling the bolt cause them to fall out of place? I figured I could pass another bolt through the swing arm from the other side to keep it in place, while I remove the factory bolt.
    Also, will I need to make some spacers for the footpegs and the swingarm bolt, or can they just bolt back on?
    I'm also debating removing the chain guard. It's pretty flimsy, so I don't imagine it does much should the chain let go. I do suppose it keep chain lube from flinging all over, though. Maybe I'll just cut it down some.

Thanks!!

Thinking about this, perhaps I can simply cut them down, instead of removing them completely.
    Thoughts?

Comment

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

I'm surprised the exhaust mounts would be on the end of the swingarm bolt... It's certainly not that way on the 650

just filling in the space to let you know that the rest of the world is still out here.

I think you need some pictures in this thread.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well, the swingarm bolt passes through the same mount that holds the footpegs, the rear brake lever return spring (on the right side) and the muffler mounts.

These things:

Here you can see them, just above the muffler:

Comment

So how do you plan on attaching your pegs since they go through that bracket? The chain guard keeps the lube from spraying on you and that rear fender kept the mud off of your back.

There are bearings in that swingarm but they won't just fall out when you remove the bolt.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The swing arm bolt will have to come fully out to get the foot peg off. Don't worry about the needle bearings as they will stay put. You might be able to find a smaller bolt to go back in because the newer models (750 & 1100 don't know about the other ones) did away with it going through the foot pegs so they will be shorter. If you don't I'd think you would have to use spacers unless there is enough treads on the bolt to tighten it down fully.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                So how do you plan on attaching your pegs since they go through that bracket? The chain guard keeps the lube from spraying on you and that rear fender kept the mud off of your back.

There are bearings in that swingarm but they won't just fall out when you remove the bolt.

Well that's why I'm asking. Do the pegs mount to the mounts, or through the mounts into the frame? This is why I considered just cutting them down to just what I need.
                I can see the chain guard keeping spray down, but correct me if I'm wrong, if your chain is spraying lube all over it's go too much lube on it. Once it flings the excess off, no more spray.
                My cafe tail section keeps the mud off my back, and most likely just as well as the fender ever would have. I have pics on my profile.
                I mean if I wanted a stock bike, I would have saved myself a lot of time and effort, and just left it stock.

Comment

The pegs mount to the mounts. I would suggest taking a good hard look at things before deciding to scrap anything. You'll learn a lot of answers to your questions by taking a few things apart first.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                    The swing arm bolt will have to come fully out to get the foot peg off. Don't worry about the needle bearings as they will stay put. You might be able to find a smaller bolt to go back in because the newer models (750 & 1100 don't know about the other ones) did away with it going through the foot pegs so they will be shorter. If you don't I'd think you would have to use spacers unless there is enough treads on the bolt to tighten it down fully.
                    I'm leaning towards cutting them down, since every time I take something apart on this bike, chaos ensues (see my exhaust thread int he carb/fuel/exhaust forum).

Comment

I'd leave em intact and spray em with flat black, but then I like having things like fenders, chain guards, and etceteras

Comment

They're gloss black now, and match the frame.
                        Without the mufflers there now, they just look out of place. Hence the cutting them down idea.

Comment

Here's how it looks presently. Next mods will be a GS450E tank and a smaller tail section:

Comment

Where did you find that War of the Worlds head lite? That looks cool.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hey Mr Sinister, I took those chrome hanger, bracket thingies off my 450 as well.

Bearings stay put in swing arm, but replacing them might be a good.
                              All I did was to shorten the bolt at an engineering shop, the retapped it and it works perfectly. Footpegs are just mounted as yours.

I am going to use the blank hole for my exhaust mount.

Also took my chain guard off and even cut the tabs off.

Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X