Questions about rebuilding my seat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about rebuilding my seat...

So I've decided to take my old '82 850GL and turn it into a "semi" cafe of sorts. Most of the bike is going to retain the OEM look, but I'm making a few additions to make the bike a little sportier. Anyway...

I'm wanting to make my stepped GL seat into a straight seat. Not a traditional flat cafe seat, but rather a fully cushioned seat that does not have the step in it. Is this possible with the current seat pan, or should I start from scratch. I was hoping I could just take the seat pan down to a good upholstery guy and see what he could do.

Any advice much appreciated!

-MBanks

a good upholsterer should easily be able to convert your seat to the shape you desire, using the stock seat pan.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      a good upholsterer should easily be able to convert your seat to the shape you desire, using the stock seat pan.

Thanks! I like to think of myself as a budding amateur mechanic, but I'll willfully admit that I know nothing about upholstery.

Comment

Converting L to flat seat

PLEASE post up a photo or two if/when you get this done.

Comment

forgot to subscribe

Is there any other GS or replacement seat that will fit the GS550L to get rid of the bump?

We're going to hit the upholstery shop to see whether they have any ideas.

Comment

Usually the factory spikes are rusted and break easily. These guys have replacemant strips that you rivet on in place of the originals..

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Seat foams are cut and reshaped using any kitchen model electric knife.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Huh, I was wondering how I might go about reupholstering my seat. The seat currently has piece of trim around the edge that holds the cover on, but that's even more beat up than the seat cover and I don't like how it looks anyway. The link that chuck posted, that's a much better way to recover the seat, in my opinion. Although they say they invented that metal spike strip, that's a pretty bogus claim. You can get the stuff for under $1 per two-foot strip, just Google "upholstery metal tack strip". Upholstery places and hobby stores might have it locally too.

Also interested in how the seat turns out since I have a GL too. Keep us posted!
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I modified the mountings on my 850GL and installed a G seat, which works well.
                  Now to brag on my son-in-law, he recovered the seat for my GK while we were in CA for Thanksgiving so here's the picture of the job he did for me (in about 3 hours).

Comment

I'm in the same boat as MBanks. I want to get rid of the step in my seat, but due to finances, I'm going to have to do it myself. I plan on using the 850GL seat pan and redoing all of the foam.

Does anyone have any experience on this seat pan and putting on new foam/cover?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      I modified the mountings on my 850GL and installed a G seat, which works well.
                      Now to brag on my son-in-law, he recovered the seat for my GK while we were in CA for Thanksgiving so here's the picture of the job he did for me (in about 3 hours).

WOW, I really like the style of that seat. What year model is it? and wouldl it direct fit on a gs1000e?
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

seat cover attachment for bad tacks,hooks,trim mold

This works wonders on seat pans with damaged seat cover hooks and trip...

I use these for my projects and I also sell them too.

Comment

Working...
                        X