No announcement yet.

Need Chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am doing some research on it right now as I can see this as a business opportunity. There are several suppliers of this type of paint and if you do a search on chrome paint you will find them. I think you can get it in small quantities and in spray bomb kits.

I'm presently looking for a local supplier to gets some info on availablity and costs in my area and what kind of equipment is needed to spray it. Some companies seem to sell some equipment that is not exactly inexpensive and that could be a limiting factor.

I'm thinking it must be costly or there are some drawbacks to it since, like some have said, it doesn't seem to be that popular, at least around here.

Comment

I've got a throwback to the 60's Nighthawk I'm doing and I've had two boatloads of parts go out for chroming. I've got one left to go. How does this compare to regular chrome in price, durability and looks?
      1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        I am doing some research on it right now as I can see this as a business opportunity. There are several suppliers of this type of paint and if you do a search on chrome paint you will find them. I think you can get it in small quantities and in spray bomb kits.

I'm presently looking for a local supplier to gets some info on availablity and costs in my area and what kind of equipment is needed to spray it. Some companies seem to sell some equipment that is not exactly inexpensive and that could be a limiting factor.

I'm thinking it must be costly or there are some drawbacks to it since, like some have said, it doesn't seem to be that popular, at least around here.
        All you need is an air compressor, an air gun for paint, and distilled water. And, the base paint coat, metal finish, and clear coating obviously.

It's the same as mirroring, so just look how what's needed to paint a mirror.

Comment

Alsa Corp is a leading supplier of custom paints and automotive products that improve the overall appearance of practically any object or surface. Call Us.

these guys have been doing crazy stuff for years.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

"JayWB....so you paint the parts with regular paint...then you respray the chrome stuff and the base paint acts as the bonding agent?? Is the chrome stuff sold in spray cans? Im tried their website and its not really "up and running". Got some other info to lead us to the product?"

No. This is a system, and it doesn't involve regular paint.What I said was if you can paint it with regular paint then you can paint it with this stuff.

And, no, I don't have any other leads. I just saw it years ago at the SEMA show. It really stuck in my mind because it's pretty impressive and not very expensive.And it wasn't in spray cans when I saw it, you spray it with what looked like a regular paint sprayer, but I think it was specially designed for this stuff.

Comment

Wonder how it would hold up on mufflers. My TX 750 could use the mufflers redone. Headers will shine right up, but there some oitts and chips in the cans.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just another opinion, but I think the only thing that looks like chrome is chrome.

Comment

The thing with the cans is this...once they are contaminated with the carbon and gunk, no chrome shop will touch them because then they are contaminatingb their vats. You either get new or find out if things like this will hold up to the heat.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    T You either get new or find out if things like this will hold up to the heat.
                    Or you pipe wrap (meh) or you ceramic coat. I would go with ceramic coat on pipes. I can't imagine this process holding up on something that is going to get too hot.

I have nothing to base that, so I could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing that it would explicitly state that it could be used in high-heat applications if it could.

Comment

Lenos video didnt tell much as far as heat range compatability. Thats why I asked the heat on the muffler skins question..I need to do l;ots of research becvause this could be pretty cool for those old cans that would otherwise be scrapped..not to mention the "unobtanium" ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X