Yet another stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another stupid question

Hello peeps. I need help. I want to lower my 78 gs1000. Before I get the usual harsh replies, I have read numerous threads and cannot find my direction. Reason for doing so: I am short. At a towering 5'4 with shorter legs than usual I have a very hard time reaching the ground when I stop and its darn near impossible to back up. Also, I do happen to like the look . I have already made myself a custom seat which isn't the prettiest but gets the job done (I have plans to scrap it and make another one soon). My plan: I have a set of clip-ons I got from a buddy that I will install on top of the triple and drop the front 1 3/4". I'm looking for and just can't seem to find the right shocks. I need 10.5" eye to clevis. I think I found eye to eye but need the clevis for my bike as I don't want to do any major modifications....right now. I believe the 2" overall drop will put my feet on the ground where I'd feel comfortable. I'm prepared to deal with the clearance issues under the bike and with the back tire hitting. The tire won't hit when I make the new seat and modify the fender well. So does anyone know where I can get the right springs?? Thanks bunches!!!

have a search through ebay until you can find a set of shocks that match your requirements, length wise. it does not really matter what bike they come from as long as they are man enough for a heavy 1000cc bike and the eye/clevis mounts fit the GS
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

How about 11"?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I tried eBay but I guess I searched it wrong. I suppose the 11 might work. As it sits now with my shock bottomed out its 12.5 hole to hole. That would be a 1.5 drop in the rear with a 1.75 drop in the front. Would the extra quarter inch make a difference? I know everyone says to make the same change on both to keep the geometry right.

Comment

Seeing as you are willing to deal with all the things that go with lowering, the 1/4" difference will not be a problem at all.
          I think they also have a black version if you did not want so much shine.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

just take note that the seller states they are not really suited for a heavy bike, or for extended 2 up riding. if you normally ride solo and you are not a weighty person then they look fine.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I went back and read the description. I won't be having a passenger for sure. Weighty....hmm haha. I do weigh 240. Can't have those beers going homeless . Those might not be the best. It is a pretty heavy bike, with me on it the ride might be squishy.

Comment

better to be safe than sorry, as they say. a more suitable pair will soon come along, if we all keep looking...........
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

I searched hard after that last post and found some that should work rated heavy duty with a 440lb load rating. I believe they will work nicely. Little more expensive but you know how it goes. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

I would give these guys a call they have shocks listed from 10" on up and they can have the shock set up for your weight. Eye to clevis mounts are available.

Comment

Working...
                    X