Blast & paint engine w/o disassembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blast & paint engine w/o disassembly?

Simple question - can it be done if the engine/trans are fine? I know adequately plugging all the holes prior to blasting would probably be the hardest part, but I really hate to break open the engine if I don't need to.

you don't need to.....

I did not blast, I just cleaned, used a wire wheel, brushes, etc...

clean well, mask well, plug holes and paint....

Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

blasting with what? sand/bead/shot/vapour or just pressure washing?

it is possible, there are companies that specialize in bead/vapour blasting complete engines but it is expensive.

if you plan to do it yourself you have to make 110% every orifice is completely blocked.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Walnut shells work well for blasting and it is relatively easy to clean up. I would not sand blast a motor I expected to run. The silica is extremely fine and you wont be able to keep it out.

Comment

Walnut shells work well for blasting and it is relatively easy to clean up. I would not sand blast a motor I expected to run. The silica is extremely fine and you wont be able to keep it out.

Comment

I'm planning the same thing, I was going to use soda (as it is soluble), and make metal plates for the carb inlet with a touch of liquid gasket bolted behind the carb inlets, and just dont blast directly onto joints where possible, something similar for the exhaust outs including stuff them with rags...I think it should work? going to try it out first on my GN250 as it's obviously not as precious as my GS

Comment

Soda blasting will work the best - very fine and it gives a bit of rotation for a few weeks if you don't paint straight away.

Otherwise paint stripper with a high pressure washer worked for me!

Comment

I soda blasted my engine. It does get everyware but it will disolve. I need to clean out my contact points though and had to vacume my starter motor.

Havnt painted the engine yet though.. thats monday

Comment

Soda is the way to go . Didn't affect rubber , seals etc . I sealed all the holes with million mile an hour tape and all good .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Good info

Thanks, I am just at that point as well, I have my engine apart but do not want to split the cases if possible.
                    At present it's an oily greasy mess and I'm not sure how to proceed as I hate the mess it makes when trying to clean the engine without a large parts washer or something like that.
                    Seems the best option is to clean the lower cases by hand with a brush and wire wheel on a drill. I will need to either reassemble the top of the engine or tape everything off to avoid getting grit in the crankcase.
                    I had the cylinders and head lightly sand blasted while they were getting reworked, I got the cylinders honed and new exhaust valve seats and seals installed.
                    I plan on painting the engine with VHT SP127 rattle can, so hopefully they look a lot better after that's done.
                    I am taking photos as I go so I'll post some pictures when I finally start my rebuild thread.
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

If you can find a dry ice blaster, that's the best because it just evaporates. Soda comes in 2nd

Be sure you degrease it first
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

dry ice will only take dirt and crud off, it wont take off old paint and wont touch the surface of the aluminium like bead or soda blasting will
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Bead blasting seems risky. Soda seems like a better choice.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            you don't need to.....

I did not blast, I just cleaned, used a wire wheel, brushes, etc...

clean well, mask well, plug holes and paint....

Great job!. That's the look want for my 1100E. Always preferred the black engine of the 1983, but I've already polished my side covers and leaving the polished will make a unique look for that model.

But I am lazy and might try painting it in the frame. Wasn't there someone last fall who painted their engine in the frame? That's where I first read about soda blasting.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=walnut
                              One possible advantage of walnut shells is that they are likely less abrasive should any of it actually get inside the engine. They will soften in the oil and grind into nothing. Soda powder would likely remain abrasive if it got inside the engine.

P.S. Love your bike, posplayr. Really nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X