tank repair and paint cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank repair and paint cost

I went down to get an estimate to fix my tank after my neighbor dropped my gs450. The tank went 32 years with only 1 ding in it from hail. Now it has a dent on the right side of the tank from when my neighbor dropped the bike and bent the bars into the tank, putting a dent into my almost perfect tank. I was so sick to my stomach after i saw the dent. i learned a valuable lesson after this incident. i was quoted 400 from a shop to repaint and fix it, and 600 from another. My neighbor is paying for it, but i thought the prices were high. For paint i plan on doing ford's frosted glass color in a 2 stage paint, with white pinstriping.

Both of those prices are fair especially getting a whole new color and 2 stage to boot. I would have charged you that without the dent lol. Make sure they do not just fill it with bondo they need to do it right.

Comment

The body shop who quoted me 400 said he would pull it then smooth it. I know the owner of the shop. He also said we would throw in painting the front fork brace to match.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs450l View Post
        The body shop who quoted me 400 said he would pull it then smooth it. I know the owner of the shop. He also said we would throw in painting the front fork brace to match.
        Then let them. $400 is a good price. This also presents you a solid chance to clean the inside of the tank with something like vinegar while off the bike. Do it prior to the repair.

Comment

I think 400 is a good price. I just checked on mine for one stage solid at 200 and this was not from a big shop. A more well known shop was asking 800. I would never pay that.

Comment

That depends on what you want. A good painter costs $$$. Go a few threads down to "Gas Cap". go down to my last 3 posts.

Comment

i gave my neighbor the estimate for painting and fixing the tank. I also gave him a price list of parts damaged when he dropped it. Total repairs with me doing the labor is 200 for parts, 400 to get the tank done. 600 total. i only paid 150 for the whole bike in stock form. i have to much time into her to not fix it.

Comment

Ask Larry what he would charge.....
                He does great work.
                Nevr2old or something like that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

look online maybe you can get a "new" tank in better shape for less money

Comment

400$ is a very fair price-but have you seen their work? Yes make sure that dent gets pulled.
                    Rule- no one rides your bike but you.

Comment

That's not too shabby for the work involved.

It's good that he offered (I hope) to pay. That is a man with integrity.

-Matt

Comment

my neighbor and I are good friends and in a car club together. we were talkin about my bike today. he said he was more worried about my reaction to the damage to the bike, then he was worried about his own cuts and scrapes.

Comment

I just contracted with a guy to do my tank, sides and tailpiece for $500. My tank was dented in several places.

I bought the decal set but he is putting it on and clear coating over it with 4 coats.
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                          X