Clutch, throttle, choke cables? gs850 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch, throttle, choke cables? gs850 L

Hello I swapped out my bars as I have stated here before. I need to buy shorter cables for the bike now. Would just installing gs850 g cables do the trick. I went from L bars to Daytona bars. If so what is a good source for these cables? I looked up cables on ebay but I have no clue if these are any good. Any info would have a ton.

the 850G cables will work. you will be much better off buying OEM Suzuki cables. they may be more expensive but will be much better quality and last at least 3 times longer than cheap quality ebay cables
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

So just buy them from any suzuki dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
        So just buy them from any suzuki dealer?
        yep....................
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

A little shorter than G cables would be good, What about cables from a 1000s or something?

The G models still have fairly long bars.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            A little shorter than G cables would be good, What about cables from a 1000s or something?

The G models still have fairly long bars.

This is good input also. I have zero clue what to do here and hate to buy and return items via ups or postal. I want to make the right decision the first time. Any other input would be appreciated.

Comment

I guess knowing if you have a '79 or later 850, (VM vs CV carbs), and which type choke lever would be helpful. I tried to put together a list of different cable lengths for the different models a few years ago, didn't get very far. There are also differences in the cable fittings from model to model, even year to year sometimes.

You can still have custom cables made.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it depends on how wide your new bars are. you should take a few measurements from say the clutch perch to the L/H handlebar clamp, and the throttle cable housing to the R/H handlebar clamp then ask members who have a stock G, or an S model to measure theirs and see which model is closest. obviously it will always better to have them slightly to long,rather than too short
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Thanks for the posts. I have 82 850 L cv carbs. thumb choke. I am not sure what to call the type of choke I have. I dont not mind some length in the cables I just have way to much now? Do you think G's are to long still?

Comment

You might consider measuring how much shorter you want them. OEM cables are much higher quality than Motion pro. The quality makes a particular difference with the clutch cable, as the loads are high. The OEM cable compresses noticeably less than the aftermarket one.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Does any one know how much shorter a 850 G cable is then an L cable? Right now they seem to be about 5 inches to long.

Best

Comment

Working...
                      X