gunk degreaser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gunk degreaser?

anyone ever use this stuff, and are there any ill side effects. going to do this tomorrow unless you guys tell me otherwise.

It's OK, doesn't do a whole lot. The purple power stuff works much better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      It's OK, doesn't do a whole lot. The purple power stuff works much better.
      yea i saw that stuff too and almost got it. ill try the gunk and see how it works vs returning it. wont eat rubber will it

Comment

No I don't think so, but any of them may damage paint if left on very long.

Comment

Make sure u get the "gel" works OK. But a sting solution of dawn dish detergent and vinegar works good for me

Comment

Suzuki makes thier own engine degreaser and it pretty good stuff. If you have heavy caked on crap, use fast orange hand cleaner and squish it in between the fins and corners with a mechanics parts brush.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dawn and vinegar, 50/50 mix?

Comment

Dunno. Is it anything like a drunk geezer?

Comment

We have stuff called simple green here in Canada , or Spray nine , both works good , and if you can rinse off with hot water even better i find, i
                  have had great luck with these products, but not sure if you have in the States, Brian

Comment

I've used Goop hand cleaner, since it's rated for humans it won't hurt the bike.
                    1980 GS1000E

Comment

thanks for the tips, and yes we have spray nine here. i used to sell a ton of it when i worked at an automotive parts house. forgot all about it until now. it seems like vinegar is used to clean everything on these forums. will have to try it out

Comment

"Awesome" cleaner from Dollar Tree- I just did a Holley 2280 for a neighbor- 29 years old and used only the awesome as a dip- amazing stuff for the price- a dollar a 20 oz jug.
                        It will tear your hands up so use gloves. It's yellow in color with a clear bottle.

Comment

I wouldn't use it.
                          I have learned from using it not to use it.
                          It's very effective as far as breaking down the grease and grime, one of the harsher, better degreasers out there. Where it falls short with me is it will dry out the clear coat protection on your aluminum cases and wheels.
                          Over time and not very long your clear coat will start to yellow and then dry out to the point where you can use your fingernail and scrape the coating off, exposing a shiny bright aluminum finish underneath.

I use simple green and a brush now, doesn't work as well, but not as harsh. Do to the effects of the gunk I've removed most of the dried out clear coat with steel wool. But you have to do it often to keep them shiny.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Can't really see it but this clutch cover case is yellowed and powdered, I haven't polished it out because I want to save that little 997CM decal. Keep that stuff off your chain if you have an O ring chain.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                              I wouldn't use it.
                              I have learned from using it not to use it.
                              It's very effective as far as breaking down the grease and grime, one of the harsher, better degreasers out there. Where it falls short with me is it will dry out the clear coat protection on your aluminum cases and wheels.
                              Over time and not very long your clear coat will start to yellow and then dry out to the point where you can use your fingernail and scrape the coating off, exposing a shiny bright aluminum finish underneath.

I use simple green and a brush now, doesn't work as well, but not as harsh. Do to the effects of the gunk I've removed most of the dried out clear coat with steel wool. But you have to do it often to keep them shiny.
                              You can cut it to appropriate strength. I never use it on clear coat- my carbs lost clear long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X