rack/backrest for my 1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rack/backrest for my 1100e

Well after searching hard for an original factory one (got out bid on ebay a couple of months ago, it went for $180 plus!) I decided to get one manufactured. I gave them pics of a stock one on another 1100 for them to copy. After a few weeks and a couple of fittings this is what I got. I also got it powder coated. The seat rest/cushion is being made for it now. I had them make the back rest part adjustable up and down and also with a release so that I don't have to take off the whole rack when I don't want the back rest on.
    1st pic is a fitting..

and on the bike..

Last edited by trevor; 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM.
    No signature

very nice. It looks like the tube diameter is a little bigger than the original. A thumb wheel v.s. those thumb screws would be a more finished look. Something like this.

I assume you are going to pad that back rest?

These are only $2.40 per

Thorlabs specializes in the building blocks for laser and fiber optic systems. From optomechanical components to telecom test instrumentation, Thorlabs' extensive manufacturing capabilities allow us to ship high quality, well priced components and devices for next-day delivery. Optomechanics, optics, opto-electronics, laser diodes, fiber optics and ASE test sources as well as fiber optic amplifiers.
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-04-2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      very nice. It looks like the tube diameter is a little bigger than the original. A thumb wheel v.s. those thumb screws would be a more finished look. Something like this.

I assume you are going to pad that back rest?

These are only $2.40 per

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct....tNumber=TS6H/M
      Hey posplayr, thanks for that link. And yes the backrest is at the upholstery shop getting a pad made. Should be ready in time for Rally next week. And yes the diameter is a little bigger tahn the original stock rack.
      No signature

Comment

How much with / without powdercoat ? With / without upright attachment ?
        Looks excellent !!

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
          How much with / without powdercoat ? With / without upright attachment ?
          Looks excellent !!
          The rack with the detachable backrest was $250. The shop charges $60 an hour but they put in more than they charged me for. They were way more than fair. Then the powder coating cost me $60, good price. The pad is getting custom too and will cost me another $150.
          So a grand total of $520. Nothing done well is ever cheap.
          And in the process have made a connection with a fabricator, a upholsterer and a powder coater.
          No signature

Comment

Trevor,
            You have taken great efforts to get a rack and now you've got a really good one, even if you had to have it made. Can't wait to see it with the padded back rest, and as far as I know you're the only one that will have one of those.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              Trevor,
              You have taken great efforts to get a rack and now you've got a really good one, even if you had to have it made. Can't wait to see it with the padded back rest, and as far as I know you're the only one that will have one of those.
              Thanks sedelen. I will be sure to post pics of the pad/rest too.
              No signature

Comment

If you or the shop were thinking ahead they will now have a template to produce more with that would involve much less labor to make them and sell them.
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                  If you or the shop were thinking ahead they will now have a template to produce more with that would involve much less labor to make them and sell them.
                  Funny you should mention that Gregory...I said to them that some of the guys who own these bikes on GSR just might want one.
                  No signature

Comment

I have a friend that has a bike like yours and would probably want one... but he is too cheap to spend as much as you did.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                    X