tank dents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank dents

Just got my 81 850 g recently and I have lots to do before its running right, but then i have what i think will be a cool paint job for it.realize I am a geezer, and ride geezer glides.Doesnt matter that the bike has 78 hp and will topend at 124, at least when it was new, its still a comfortable bike with upright handlebars and plush suzuki seat.My paint job plans kind of go against what I just said,but anyhow, heres the problem.The tank has a few ripply dents on the left side ,not the top.Do you all pull them out someway or just bondo? I have seen car guys weld little rods onto car dents and pull them out, but these are small dents,nothing so severe as needing a puller.All input appreciated.Curious about the paint job? Well google 1966 tempest sprint.My brand new one was gold with a black racing stripe.Thats the plan.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

lot's of tips.....

Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

That link doesnt work.But thanks anyway.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

interesting....

let's try again...

and if that don't work

click on Search and put in dent removal, it will give you plenty of hits....
        Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I found this video very informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbFhPrJ14w

Comment

Thanks guys.I appreciate the information.

Comment

If you have dents that are too small to pull out and/or going to fill and fair them in, if you want the repair to last, avoid Bondo at all costs. Bondo attracts water and is guaranteed to cause rust, bubbles and delamination of the the repaired area. Use a epoxy filler. Bondo is a polyester filler and porous, hence the rust problem. for really small repairs, I use JB weld which is epoxy. For larger repair, go to a marine supply store and get a can of epoxy fairing compound. The "kit" consists of one can of base(filler) and one can of catalyst. Marine Tex is one fairing compound that can be bought in small to very large sizes. It is epoxy.
              Last edited by earlfor; 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                interesting....

let's try again...

and if that don't work

click on Search and put in dent removal, it will give you plenty of hits....
                not working

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  If you have dents that are too small to pull out and/or going to fill and fair them in, if you want the repair to last, avoid Bondo at all costs. Bondo attracts water and is guaranteed to cause rust, bubbles and delamination of the the repaired area. Use a epoxy filler. Bondo is a polyester filler and porous, hence the rust problem. for really small repairs, I use JB weld which is epoxy. For larger repair, go to a marine supply store and get a can of epoxy fairing compound. The "kit" consists of one can of base(filler) and one can of catalyst.
                  Thank you.I never heard of that.Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                    Thank you.I never heard of that.Thanks.
                    Stay as far away from Bondo as you can get. Another problem with Bondo is that the catalyst for it is oily and it reacts badly to any alcohol or water based paint. Most plastic paints and automotive paints are alcohol based, and Bondo causes fish eyes, sagging and holes in the paint surface when the paint layer and primer will simply not link up and seal over the microscopic oil imperfection.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Bondo..brand..body filler, specifically, is crap. But, there are some great plastic fillers available. Evercoat makes a product called "Rage". It's available at any quality auto paint store. I've used it for years and it's easy to work, leaves absolutely no pin holes, and doesn't shrink at all. This would be a great product for the small amount of filling you need to do.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Never heard of Evercoat/Rage, thanks for the tip.Will try it instead of Bondo.

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                          Bondo..brand..body filler, specifically, is crap. But, there are some great plastic fillers available. Evercoat makes a product called "Rage". It's available at any quality auto paint store. I've used it for years and it's easy to work, leaves absolutely no pin holes, and doesn't shrink at all. This would be a great product for the small amount of filling you need to do.
                          Is it a polyester compound? Every polyester based compound I tried in 30 years of marine repair attracted and held water. Water retention and steel is a bad combination. Another excellent filler is VC Watertight.

Comment

Can't say with certainty if it's polyester based, but I would think an auto body and a marine application are two different animals. Rage is used by some of the world's top builders and restorers, and with my own experience, works great. I've never had problems with adhesion or moisture contamination what-so-ever. Do the body work, get it primered and you're good to go.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I am going to go with rage it looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X