Anybody tried this swap yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody tried this swap yet?

Swap a 450T seat onto a 450L frame. I'm looking for a less cruiser look than my L seat offers. I'd like to avoid modifying the frame if possible. Couldn't really tell from looking at the parts fiches if they use the same mounting hardware. A cursory search of the forums leads me to believe that an E or S seat will not work. Thoughts on a T model?

thanks
    Mike

I don't think any seat other than a L will fit a L. I used the stock L seat pan on my 450 and recut the foam to straight E type seat and recovered it. It was easier than trying to modify a different pan to fit the frame correctly.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I know someone on here put an L seat on a T... so it should be doable.

You definitely won't get an E or S seat on though.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

During the short time my son had an '81 450T, we were not aware of the differences between the different models and were happy with what we had. I have since seen a few 450L bikes, but don't really remember the T well enough to be able to compare. As earlfor mentiond, it might just be easier to re-shape and re-cover your seat to suit your tastes.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it's really going to boil down to how cheap i can get a seat pan modified to the fit and shape that i need. I am not up to doing any welding or other metal fab beyond cutting and drilling.

Comment

I can measure a gsx400T's seat up with pix for you if you PM me.but the mounting hardware at back of seat is just bent metal drilled, attached to a vinyl pan to suit the turn-signal mounting bolts while the forward end just hooks under the strap you can see on the frame....

I had a look at the 80-82 fiches at http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-motorcycle_model13053/
            ...and I THINK it would work 80-81 (and more years?) T->L..the Frames of these bikes look to be the same whether GS450 or GSX400 and more. the 550 frame is very similar too.
            I think the L seat lower portion just overlaps the frame more .... and the smaller rear tire size and longer forks complete the EasyRider apehanger squat or whatever it is they were aiming for....
            You might also consider an 81 550's seat. I've seen one locally with a seat identical to my own GSX400T's seat.
            Personally, I'm not really ond of the T's small step on the seat either, though it's comfortable and tall, I still find having a ridge there annoys me and am considering cutting a spare one's foam to level it out a bit.
            The E's long seat is best for me- comfortable- I gorm back 'n forth on it as I please. but there are mounting problems on the L or T frame... the older GS 425 has a good bench-looking seat, but again, mods are needed.Maybe a honda seat too!

Comment

Working...
            X