A 85 750 seat question(poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eil View Post
    Confused... are the red and yellow bikes the same bike??

I'm a function over form kind of guy so if it were my bike, I'd keep the grab rail for reasons of utility no matter how it affected the overall look. I use mine all the time. Mostly when moving the bike around in the garage, but for other reasons as well.

I think it would look pretty fly with the yellow scheme if painted silver/grey to match the frame.
    Well I had a colour poll a while back http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=206721 I like the choice I made.

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    ... I mean it looks to tilted back a tiny bit more than it was designed to be, in the top pictures...just a teeny bit. But if you can't see it, well -it's a non-issue!
    Might be the angle of the pic or the fact it's not really tightened down properly?

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
    I voted for the '83 seat. Had my seat done by Sargents way back in 1990. Even back then nobody made covers, Sargents is kinda pricey but they do really execellent work that holds up. Mine still looks good after 24 years.
    I emailed a local guy who advertised on UsedVic http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...stery_13827052 I don't usually farm out work but in this case it is probably money well spent.My DIY seats have been less than stellar

Comment

Hmmmm 4 to 6 for the 83 seat.Poll is doing what I need it to,focusing me on what I want to do.At this point I'm thinking I might get the 85 base recovered with the 83 foam.I think losing the grab bar would make it lose some of it's 85ness if that makes any sense.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

It looks far better with the rail.
        Form follows function.

Comment

Hmmmm went over to the 85 seat in a hurry there I do the polls to help me figure out what I want to do.I'm sure without this one I'd have been trying to figure it out a lot longer.As of right now I'm going to get the PO DIY cover off the 85 seat and see what condition the foam is in.If it's been chopped up like I think it has 1 of the 83 seats will have it's foam removed and used for the 85 pan.Wait a minute, there's a far simpler way.The extensions that cover where the grab rail fits are bolted to the pan,simply removing them will get me the same result with less work

Comment

It's miserable and cold out so I brought the seats in to get the covers off.

With the DIY cover off the difference between the pans are clearer.

The original that was under the DIY.

The 83 foam on the 85 pan in the front,other way round behind.The 83 foam is defiantly in better shape.

Turns out the tabs on the 83 are molded on,no big deal to remove but the lip along the bottom of the 85 pan will male a cleaner look for the bottom so going back to the original plan,83 foam on the 85 pan.

Comment

It isn't that much to have the seat recovered and the foam replaced at a good motosport oriented shop.

They give you the specialty foam cut in any profile you chose, stock or modded, then they will make the cover exactly like a stock seat, or you can change it, as I usually do.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Since I have so may pans around I might do a modded seat in the future.Thing is I found the stock seat quite comfortable and the 83 foam is in good shape so I really just want a new cover at this point.Going shopping in the new year as even our little burg as 3 or 4 places to check out.

Comment

To put a "finish" to this thread I got my seat back from the upholsterer yesterday.He did a REALLY nice job.

Was going to wait till this morning to try it on,that didn't work

Comment

Looks great Greg.......
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Yes, looks great!
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

It does look gooda , nice !!

Comment

Can't wait till I can get her out for better pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X