No announcement yet.

Cooley colors....still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used rubbing compound on the tail section before scanning Ed. Theory was to remove any discoloration due to oxidation or surface contaminations before doing the scans. I am very confident they were scanning as clean an example as it could have been.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      We used rubbing compound on the tail section before scanning Ed. Theory was to remove any discoloration due to oxidation or surface contaminations before doing the scans. I am very confident they were scanning as clean an example as it could have been.
      Not so sure chuck. The paint is clear coated. You will have to remove all the yellowed clear over the white before you could get a good bead on the paint. The paint could fade under the clear too.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well one day we will have to meet up so you can eyeball the bike for yourself...LOL. Always had a dream of riding to the Pacific ocean one day!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
          so, from what i read here. no one has any idea what the colors are.
          Kinda, but I gotta agree with Ed, a paint scanner is not a time machine. That pigment is 45 years old, the scanner can only tell you what color it is today.
          Fact is this is a wild goose chase, and you'll just have to make an arbitrary decision.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I've painted at least eight of these bikes, and the colors that I've mentioned work really well. The Ford Wimbledon White and Ford Grabber Blue are as close to original as you're going to get w/o having them scanned from nice original parts. I'm pretty picky with color matches and I wouldn't suggest them if I didn't use them myself. If anything, the Grabber Blue might need just a few drops of darker blue added to the mix to make it perfect. It's all in the hands of the guy mixing the paint for you. Any paint store should be able to handle that request, and if not, I would try another store. Every one I did came with the original decal stripes, and all of them were a bit more pure white then the color of the parts. That's why I always painted the stripes, so the white was the same. If you match the white of the decal stripes to the rest of the parts, it'll be too white as Ed mentioned in his restorations.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I gave up trying to get the colors matched. Ended with an audi white and Porsche Riviera blue. Will look great.

Comment

A bit late jumping in on the conversation, however after also searching the Forum myself for the same paint codes for the Wes Cooley, I settled on the Ford colours Grabber Blue and Wimbledon White for my own bike. As also noted above, the blue is probably a bit lighter than required, but I like the Grabber Blue better as a colour. And the Wimbledon White is a probably bit more "creamy" than the original. As per nvr2old above, the white on the decals is much "whiter" than the Ford colour, and in order to avoid a clash of whites I also painted the white striping.

So I've probably spent a lot of time and money on a paint job where both the colours are a couple of shades away from being absolutely correct, however every time I look at the paint work I'm amazed at how good the two Ford colours work together. One of those "Wow" combinations....in my opinion....

My 2 cents worth.
                2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
                1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
                1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Working...
                X