No announcement yet.

Vinyl Decal as masking tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on the solvent in the paint it might eat, shrink or warp the decal. I use pieces of cereal boxes as stencils. Normally I draw or trace the pattern, cut it with an exacto knife, spray it with Plastidip and then press it to the piece I'm painting. The Plastidip holds the stencil in place and when you're done paint just remove it and peel off the remaining Plastidip.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher09 View Post
      Just checkin in to see if you got good results. Post some pics.
      Unfortunately... It'll be a little while. Have no heat to work and it's not going to warm up for a week or two yet. I'm really stoked to get it done. But I have to wait..... Guess I jumped the gun asking the questions. I'll make sure to post results when it's done.

Comment

Phaaaaa, that logo is not intricate at all, a piece of old tacky,
        Photocopy it onto some project board, take a blade, cut out the letters and numbers carefully, and you have a stencil, sure beats spraying over and pulling off and worrying about this and that.

Comment

So I tried using a piece of stiff cardboard as a cutout stencil to see if that would work. It looks good from afar…. but far from good. The stencil bled and sprayed over around some of the edges of the letter. I figured this would happen. Which doesn't bother me. I did some more research and I'm wondering if anyone here has used Frisket Film? Is it similar to the aforementioned Avery Mask?

Here is my so far results.

Filling in the holes

Removed the chrome and primed the side cover

First stencil attempt (not happy) I'll mask it on the good one obviously

Comment

The reason it is bleeding through is because you are spraying it on too wet, light mist coats is the way to go grasshopper.
            And make sure your edges are down flush with the cover to give you a nice crisp edge, this will without a doubt lead to red fingers, but that has never killed anyone yet.....that I know of.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Frisket is good. Some brands are too sticky so it is good to first stick it to your shirt before cutting just to reduce the stickiness. Sticky Mickey masking paper is great and comes in several widths--not really cost effective for one use. You can use the widest blue painter's masking tape overlapping by 50%. Be sure to use new Exacto blades because two layers of masking tape isn't easy to cut through. And several light passes is the way to go. And just mask the entire panel so there will be no overspray. Sometimes light overspray may go unnoticed until you put clear over it.

Comment

Working...
              X