Official Resto-Mod Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Resto-Mod Thread

So I don't think there has ever been a thread solely dedicated to resto-mods so I thought I would start one. By resto-mod I of course mean any GS or other vintage bike you might have that has been fitted with modern/late model suspension (front end/swingarm/shocks), wheels, tires, brakes etc that improve the handling/ride-ability of the bike. Resto-mods ONLY please. If your bike is customized but doesn't fit the resto-mod criteria there is a "Custom" thread here in the appearance section.

The first ever resto-mods I ever saw on this site were Kichigai's GS1100ES, Isleoman's GS1100E and Katman's '83 Katana. All three stunningly beautiful machines that were big inspirations for my build. I hope to see their bikes here.

Here's my '82 Katana. '92 GSXR750 front end/Bandit 1200 swingarm/YSS Shocks/ '92 GSXR1100 wheels/180 rear tire.

Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM.

You've set the bar pretty high with that Kat, lemme tell ya..
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      Would have been higher if you had done the paint!!!

Comment

Nice overall balance silver on black with touches of red (nice and not over done)

Obviously we can't see the precise details of the paint job, but there are some really nice details I can see. Looks like some nice welds on the frame with that laser cut Yoshi gusset. Can I assume there is other bracing as well.

Rear sets and countersprocket cover just blend in with the old bike.

I'm assuming resto mod as you defined it is 17" wheels; Mine is 18" and more of a "vintage" resto mod (except for the bandit swinger and wave rotors).

My original intent was to build a bike that is close to how it would have been done in the early 90's while still retaining the look of the stock bike. Kind of a vintage factory resto-mod if you like. It is supposed to look (to the untrained eye), as if it could have come from the factory this way.

Suspension:
        * 88 GSXR 1100 3 spoke wheels 2.75"x18" and 4.5"x18" (front/rear) running 110/80-18 and 170/60-18 (F/R)
        * Galfer Wave rotors ft, GSXR rotor back, EBC HH sintered pads all around
        * 87-88 1100 forks (29.3") with Race Tech emulators and springs
        * stock triple 87-88 GSXR 1100, aftermarket GSXR fork brace
        (Note you can increase the trail by using a 1st Gen GSXR 750 triple clamp. The 750 offset is more than the 1100 )
        * modified GSXR top triple with GS1100ED handle bar risers, Gauge mounts and steering stops
        * Katman modified 2002 Bandit swingarm and offset pivot spacers to fit stock rear brake master
        * Modified rear brake pivot so I don't have to relocate the brake master (allows me to retain the stock foot pegs).
        * Bandit chain guard , Bandit brake arm
        * 1st Gen GSXR under-slung brake master
        * SU-145 Ohlins (stock length + 30-50mm)
        * 530 gear conversion with 3/8 offset sprocket
        * 2nd Gen GSXR fork mounted steering damper.
        * Stainless brake lines
        * Disabled 83 GS1100 anti dives fitted to GSXR forks.

Engine:
        * 1166 10.25 CR Weisco
        * Ported Head (by headsbikesmopars) with 28mm 1150 intakes , backcut valves and Serdi radius cut valve job.
        * 0.340 Webcams
        * High pressure Gears
        * Welded Superhub with all EBC clutch springs, APE Super nut.
        * DJ Jetted 1150 BST36 carbs, w/ K&N Pods using LM-2 WBO2 sensor from Innovate Motorsports
        * Top End Oiler with GregB distribution block

Exhaust:
        *FrankenYoshi: stainless Yoshi 2nd Gen GSXR 4:2:1 , Vintage CB550 Honda Yoshi can, V&H spickets, custom stainless midpipe/hanger.
        * And not is was not cheap to put all this together.

Body
        * Maier Sport Fairing Large
        * Color matched to OEM red Pearl paint
        * Vintage Sport rack
        * Corbin Seat
        * Vintage Restoration Decal set with various Suzuki/Yoshi/etc decals from ebay
        * Engine guards with matching GS1100ED rear foot pegs

Electrical:
        * Solid State Power Box (fuse box replacement eliminated Ignition Relay Modification)
        * Compufire Series R/R
        * Accel Coils with stock ignitor
        * Electrosport Stator with oil sprayer
        * Lighted 2 1/4" dash gauges Oil Pressure and Voltmeter and Power Plug
        * Amperite "STOP ALLERT" brake flasher

The pictures below are after the wreck and the bike was repainted closer to OEM Pearl Red color.

Last edited by posplayr; 02-12-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

It's funny Jim - Jwhelan and I were talking about what qualifies as "resto-mod". Specifically if his GS700 fit the bill (his 1100E obviously does). I would say that you have upgraded the handling on your bike with front and rear suspension, rear shocks, brakes and wheels. Isn't your front end and swingarm from a first gen gixxer? I think that is where we can make a distinction. Even if they are more "period" upgrades they need to be complete swap of parts from newer machines. We can just qualify them as a more "period" (or Vintage!) resto-mods. Always loved your bike btw.

Are you using the chines made Galfer knock-off rotors or the genuine article?
          Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
            It's funny Jim - Jwhelan and I were talking about what qualifies as "resto-mod". Specifically if his GS700 fit the bill (his 1100E obviously does). I would say that you have upgraded the handling on your bike with front and rear suspension, rear shocks, brakes and wheels. Isn't your front end and swingarm from a first gen gixxer? I think that is where we can make a distinction. Even if they are more "period" upgrades they need to be complete swap of parts from newer machines. We can just qualify them as a more "period" (or Vintage!) resto-mods. Always loved your bike btw.

Are you using the chines made Galfer knock-off rotors or the genuine article?
            OK So I guess I'm in if even part of the Old crowd, which is what I wanted in the first place. After all the beast still weighs 500lbs and at the time I had an 86 GSXR 1100 with 17" conversion.

88 GSXR 1100 forks/triple/fork brace/RT emulators and wheels(with radial rubber 170/60-18 , 110/80-18).
            2002 Bandit swinger and SU-145 Ohlins (stock length + 30-50mm)
            Galfers rotors (local shop was out of EBC and so offered me $360 for the pair ; it was my birthday so what the hell)

whole list is here, with the trades and decision process.

I think the only thing stock on running/gear suspension is the rear brake master cylinder/piston rod , the dummy front anti-dive units, swing arm bolt. There are some other 83 OE bits which were machined to fit the GSXR stuff rear brake lever, headlamp ears, non functional frnt fork airline equalization tube and collars with heat shield (bored to fit 41mm stanchions)
            Last edited by posplayr; 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

My 750 that has gsxr, rf, bandit, and even zx parts.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

My 82 gs750e maybe gets close to the line between restomod and custom but closer to restomod in my opinion. I am hesitant to put it up with some of the bikes here as they are top shelf. Mine is a work in progress. Still needs a better exhaust and a good paint job. I do however pride myself in the fact that I did all of the fabrication myself.
                sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                1994 gsxr1100w
                1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Whether you call this a resto-mod or a custom, this is a fine piece of work and I think this bike is "jacked." Well done so far.

My 82 gs750e maybe gets close to the line between restomod and custom but closer to restomod in my opinion. I am hesitant to put it up with some of the bikes here as they are top shelf. Mine is a work in progress. Still needs a better exhaust and a good paint job. I do however pride myself in the fact that I did all of the fabrication myself.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

I agree. That is one nice Kat.

Comment

Great idea for a thread and the first few bikes are awesome!

I think you are going to find this thread to be very motivating!

Comment

Mine as it sits today

Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The heart, I have recently gone back to stock 36mm 1150 carbs for better around town travel.

Comment

Comment

Very nice Joe; You make me want to tear mine down again and repaint and polish it.

Well I do already have it apart but not for paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X