Black and gold 1980 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and gold 1980 GS850

This is the scheme I decided to go with. The gold is very heavy metallic pearl, the black is extremely light metallic and only glitters in the dark when light hits it. The tank, fender and rear plastic cowl were all in terrible shape. This isn't perfect by any means but its nicer. This is after the first coat of clear. I'm using Chromaclear 4700S, its absolutely fantastic stuff(better be for 300 bucks a can). It isn't something everyone will like but I don't think anyone will completely hate it.

As I received it:

Basecoat sprayed(black) and taped:

Accent gold being sprayed:

First coat of clear. There will be at least two more coats applied.

That's going to look really nice.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I really like it.

Comment

Thanks. I'm still unsure of how I want to route the exhaust. I'm thinking about a 4 into 1 high mount. I also still have to reupholster the seat and either find or make a set of side covers. I'm using smaller than stock signals mounted directly to the rear cowl and I'm thinking about flush mounts for the front. All of my accessories and controls will be painted in that same pearl metallic gold. I'm thinking bar end mirrors. The engine is just going to get bead blasted and polished, I won't be painting it this time. As of now I plan on keeping it but I may sell it for a bigger GS. I like restoring/resto-modding bikes so I'll probably get another basket case.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2014, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Second coat of clear is applied. I'll wet sand this then add one more coat before final buffing. Forgive the pictures. I have a terrible camera. It looks better and has much more luster in person. You can just about use it as a mirror. I'm hoping it looks as good on the bike as it does on the rack.

Comment

Real nice paint scheme. Looks like you've done this before. Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

How are you treating the side covers, or are there going to be any?

Comment

Really really really really really really really really

really really really NEAT!
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                  How are you treating the side covers, or are there going to be any?
                  Gotta get some. One of mine is missing. If I can't find any I'll make some. I do a little fiberglass work when need be.

Comment

Disaster struck. After test fitting the tank, my brother-in-law was pulling it back off and dropped it from about 3 feet onto concrete. It caved in the front right tank seem and creased the bottom right of the tank. Last month he dropped a front fender from about 5 feet up(pulling it from the hanger after paint) on concrete and dented it across the top line. I don't think I'll be letting him carry any freshly painted stuff anymore.....

Comment

That is ****ty news. Wow, sorry man. Hope your sister is worth it
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Can you fix the tank?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As long as the seams don't separate and leak I can fix the tank. I just hate it because of how much time I already have in pulling dents, blocking, prep and 3 coats of clear. Now I gotta take it back down to the metal and do it all over again. It probably took me 2 hours just to get all the tape lines perfect for the two tone. Ah well, its life. If that is the worst thing that happens on this build then I'll consider myself lucky. I already had to remove the front cam because the previous owned dropped the bike and broke the tach cable fitting off in the head. Only way to get it out was remove the cam and tap it out from the back side. Two header bolts broke off in the head and a valve cover bolt was previously cross threaded and never repaired. But hey, what can you expect from a $340 bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                            Disaster struck. After test fitting the tank, my brother-in-law was pulling it back off and dropped it from about 3 feet onto concrete. It caved in the front right tank seem and creased the bottom right of the tank. Last month he dropped a front fender from about 5 feet up(pulling it from the hanger after paint) on concrete and dented it across the top line. I don't think I'll be letting him carry any freshly painted stuff anymore.....
                            Don't ever let him come over again ,damn I dropped my own tank after fresh paint and before the clear. It wasn't bad so I just cleared and moved on...

Comment

Ban that sob from your shop period. You don't need the headaches he brings with him.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X