Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the paint Genious's

Ok,

I have an idea of something I want to do for the 650 to help bring it's appearance back up to at least a little more presentable untill I can get original color and good condition side covers.

Problem lies in what I want to do would take Many Many hours of work to do by hand paint, and I'm nowhere near a good enough artist to do it.

I've compiled an image in jpg (though I may start over in TIFF) format that I would like to use.

I'm thinking paint the side covers black (which is the background color for what I have in mind) then place a color printout of the image I"ve designed on top of it, somehow pasting it in place (Here is where my problem comes in)

What would be the best method to do this. My mother in her craft stuff has this paste type stuff she has used to put color images onto rocks/serving dishes (on the outside)/hot plates etc. I was thinking of using that to get it to stick on the side covers, then using a few coats of some clearcoat spray can stuff.

I'm not sure what the name of the stuff she uses is at the moment. But I can find out tonight and post it.

I'm looking to see if anyone has any other/better ideas, or knows of some way to do this.

I don't want to give away what I"m doing exactly, but I think it will be very VERY unique.

Any thoughts??

Amos

You could take your design to a sign shop and have them make it in a self-adhesive material. I had the stock Suzuki gas tank decals done this way. They look as good as the originals.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thought had crossed my mind, however I'm on a VERY tight budget right now, and this isn't a long enough term solution (at least not till I see how it looks anyway) to spend a whole lot of cash on it.

My latest thought is to use the self adheasive lamination sheets to stick it on then clear coat over it all.

Amos

Comment

My latest thought is to use the self adheasive lamination sheets to stick it on then clear coat over it all.
        Do a test piece first, as the solvents in the clear will dissolve a lot of different inks. If your test piece is OK with the clear, then it should work for whay you want to do.

Mark

Comment

They make good adhesive printer paper for a few bucks at an office supply store.

Print one up, let it dry, and hit it with your clearcoat not on the bike, for a test. If it dries unsmudged and all that, gopher it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
            They make good adhesive printer paper for a few bucks at an office supply store.

Print one up, let it dry, and hit it with your clearcoat not on the bike, for a test. If it dries unsmudged and all that, gopher it.
            Thanks I'll have to give it a try..

However, as I"m having DMV issues right now, it will have to wait a little bit. Gotta transplant the 650 engine into the 550 first.. so I can just RIDE..

Amos

Comment

Working...
            X