GS1100 replacement seat options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 replacement seat options?

Is Corbin the only game for getting a new replacement seat?
    I like the fit and finish of the corbin but I don't like the hump on the tank. I cut it down on my stock seat and had a buddy recover it, but it's kind of lumpy and doesn't look the part.
    I bought a ratty corbin, and I thought I was going to order a brand new one, but this modified stocker lets me get up closer to the tank. Maybe it's my inner flat tracker coming out, but I always feel like I'm all stretched out with just those 2" of tank padding on the corbin.

Maybe these pics kind of explain the difference.

I've heard of Sargent in FL does good work, but I don't know if they can do more than just recover a seat? Can they totally rework one?

Kevin

So I emailed Sargent and they're really open to my ideas of reshaping a seat.

I'm going to be a pain in the bottom to them because I'm really picky about how I want this seat to turn out. Especially if I'm paying $400+ for it.

As I was sitting here thinking about it, I started drawing out some ideas for clarification, and to see what I'm planning and if it looks like *** (bottom).

I think I'm going to have to buy a 3rd seat that has at least a good pan and then shape what I want on that. Either that, or I'm going to try and build it in SketchUp for some sweet 3D modeling. (I've tried this before with little success).

Anyway, here's my pictures. what do you think of the profile of this reddish solo seat?

And here's what I don't like about the corbin seat:
    The main thing is that I can't get my butt up close to the tank.
    1. the front of the seat is too thick.
    2. the low point in the seat is too far back.
    3. The "saddle" style in the back is just ugly.

In 10 years of owning this bike, My wife has ridden on the back zero times. I'm about to delete the rear pegs with some rearsets anyway, so the back is going to become a solo seat if I can help it.

-Kevin

Comment

Hummm.

I might be doing this myself. I might just find a better seat builder here in P-town to fabricate the leather and shape the foam myself. I'm not scurred to do that, but I can't sew leather. I've tried, and for one it takes more than a crappy singer (broke it trying)

Sargent Cycle Quote:
      $99.95 Base price for a 1-piece seat with a plastic base pan.
      $75.00 Install Super Cell Atomic Foam in the front only.
      $50.00 Change Riding Position in conjunction with another service.
      $75.00 Create Solo Style Rear in conjunction with another service.
      $200.00 100% Leather
      $19.95 Return S&H

Total
      $519.90
      You know what, it seems fair. I just can't swallow that kind of bill.

Comment

If you need a seat to mess with I have a good one with no tears etc. inbox me if you need it

Comment

Thanks!!!

I'd love the contact info. I emailed a local shop that does great work, but no response yet. http://www.newchurchmoto.com/ They make some sick cafe bike seats. (see below)

BTW, I just bought a set of ZX12R rearsets on ebay complete with passenger pegs because I love them on your bike. I'm going to make my adapter plates out of steel and paint them black, but very similar build. Inspired by your bike.

It is one of the best GS1100E bikes I've ever seen.

-kevin

New Church Moto website cover shot:

Comment

I joined. I hope to own a FZ1 some day anyway.

I think his work is right up my alley. I think the church moto girls' arena is in the cafe bike/hipster realm and I'm looking more for a sportbike/sport touring style. Actually, it looks like he has quite a variety of work.

Thanks,
            Kevin

Comment

1100EZ seat strap

Any body have the strap from the stock 1100EZ seat?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've always thought this looked really cool:

This is in the Gallery for the 1982 collection.

Somewhere on this site I saw a really cool modification, it was an '82 GS1100EZ, the grey one, it had a cover that he made for it that was placed over the rear part of the seat that gave it a really clean look. The problem is that I can't remember where I saw it on this forum, I just looked through like 214 pages of the Pictures of Custom GS thread and cannot find it, I even went through the Gallery with no avail either. I remember a few years ago I contacted the owner about it but, again, I can't remember who it was, I just remember that I really liked the look of it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post
                  Thanks!!!

I'd love the contact info. I emailed a local shop that does great work, but no response yet. http://www.newchurchmoto.com/ They make some sick cafe bike seats. (see below)

BTW, I just bought a set of ZX12R rearsets on ebay complete with passenger pegs because I love them on your bike. I'm going to make my adapter plates out of steel and paint them black, but very similar build. Inspired by your bike.

It is one of the best GS1100E bikes I've ever seen.

-kevin

New Church Moto website cover shot:
                  Does that seat come with a lifetime butt replacement?

Comment

Kevin,

just go to Michael's crafts and get a big chunk of Styrofoam. Take a handsaw/breadknife/whatever to it too obtain the shape you want.

Take that to any local car upholstery shop and see if they can get the materials you want

I had Spike's recreate my original 78 seat in blue vinyl many years ago, it's still holding up, but it's now rock hard.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                      I've always thought this looked really cool:

This is in the Gallery for the 1982 collection.

Somewhere on this site I saw a really cool modification, it was an '82 GS1100EZ, the grey one, it had a cover that he made for it that was placed over the rear part of the seat that gave it a really clean look. The problem is that I can't remember where I saw it on this forum, I just looked through like 214 pages of the Pictures of Custom GS thread and cannot find it, I even went through the Gallery with no avail either. I remember a few years ago I contacted the owner about it but, again, I can't remember who it was, I just remember that I really liked the look of it.
                      I too have been combing through pictures trying to find something I can just send to a builder and say "I want this".

Thanks for the effort. I know firsthand how long it takes.

Pretty sure I'm going to use this guy Eddie from the FZ1 forums. He has done some awesome stuff, and he's already given me some great ideas.

I'll post up some of his work if he's OK with it.

-kevin

Comment

My "Dirt Road Seats" seat.

Got my seat back from Eddie, and took some glamor shots.
                        Love the seat. Very fine craftsmanship, super comfortable. I'm glad Eddie talked me out of trying to make a "solo" seat. It would have made an already gigantic 80's seat into a monster. "Socks on a Duck" as Eddie likes to say.

This is my fourth seat for this bike, and this is the one. Done.

-Kevin

Comment

What a beautiful job.....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

What's the cover material? Any gel pads in there? Can I ask how much $$ ?

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                              What's the cover material?
                              Marine grade vinyl, with "polaris" inserts.

Here's what Eddie has to say about leather, and I totally agree:
                              "I can do a seat in leather , but I don't recommend it. Leather is slippery and thats not good. And it needs to be treated periodically ,which makes it even more slippery and thats not good. And its expensive, and thats not good.
                              Everyone with a leather seat asks me how they can make it less slippery. There's not a good answer for that. At least cows find it comfy....I think. Still, for those that insist on it , I have some here."

Any gel pads in there?
                              No, but I didn't ask for it.

Can I ask how much $$ ?
                              $250 plus shipping both ways. I spent $24 to get it there with USPS cheapest "standard post" and it got there in 6 days. I opted for USPS 2-day $62 because I was excited and it took 4 days. I guess USPS 2-day priority is not guaranteed.
                              I shopped for a Corbin, but the basic model was about $460 shipped.
                              I also called Sargent and they quoted me $515 for what Eddie did.
                              I called a local company and they wanted $400+ without looking at it.

Eddie is working on a website, but I'm not sure he's ready to publish it yet. He's a super nice man, and a true gentleman. He also lives about 20 min from "The Dragon" if that's in your cards. He'll make a seat for you while you ride around all day.

-kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X