what clear coat to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what clear coat to use

little help here ! iam looking to clear coat ,the side covers and other aluminum part , what is the best clear to use that will not turn yellow,

Clear coat

Try the website Eastwood Diamond clear Coat, they say it's good for 300 degrees.

Comment

Clearcoat

I've used Glasrit, almost bulletproof.
      1980 GS1000E

Comment

Spay Max

I have used Spray Max. A little pricy but will holdup to gasoline if you are thinking of clear coat for your tank.
        SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

Comment

Do you have spray equipment and a compressor or are you thinking rattle can?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

since it is not a big job ,I was hoping to use a rattle can

Comment

I'm hoping to shoot a 2k clear coat with the spraymax aerosol cans as well.

I picked up two cans on saturday for a tank, side covers, and a helmet. I will post results when I'm done which hopefully will be this week sometime. Spraymax cans were something like $21 a piece. Which isn't terrible for no clean-up and no mixing or any extra work…. (if it works out that is….)

Here is a link to an old thread review of the Spraymax cans http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=clear+coat
              Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Any reasonable quality 2K clear should work, clear coat is clear coat.
                The answer to the finish lies in the prep and finish.
                If the data sheet says it will hold up, it will keep its end of the deal, but if you get lazy with the prep work it is going to look nasty regardless, and probably fail early.
                Same goes for the finishing.

I use a 2K system in a can, due to the fact that I don't have a compressor so have no option, it is a system by Plascon, however I have a deal with my paint shop and the product inside the can is Spies Hecker, the results speak for themselves.

Comment

Hey flyboy. That looks great!

Can I ask what grit you used on the paint to give it some tooth? And how you sprayed the clear. I'm a little confused as to what steps I should all take to get a great finish.

Comment

Working...
                  X