new speedo/tach, no more fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new speedo/tach, no more fuel gauge

i'm replacing the large speedo/tach with the very common 2.5" speedo with indicators and 2.5" tach from dime city. however, my original tach had the fuel indicator as well. have any of you seen any aftermarket options? or should i just forget it and go by mileage and peeking in the tank?

Well there must be some option out there for a gauge setup.....I personally am not interested in guages.
    My 1100 gauge doesn't work and I just always go by mileage.
    I mean honestly once a bike goes below 1/4 tank on tje guage we start looking to refuel anyways or start staring at our mileage lol.
    My max mileage is 185 miles per tank.....till it run out. 160-170 is my refuel point when In ride locally....I refill a bit sooner if out on the road in an unfamiliar area where I don't know where the next station is.

Comment

I don't have a fuel gauge on my 78, I just ride til it starts acting funny, put the petcock on reserve and go to the gas station to fill up. Last time I reset the odometer so now I know approximately when to fill up before it goes to the reserve

Comment

My ODO doesn't even work :-(

Comment

Using the trip meter as a fuel gauge might be the only option for some, but we have seen some extremes in range, so I find the idea rather ludicrous, at best.

On one trip several years ago, we were on the freeway doing about 70-75 mph into a headwind of about 15-20 mph. My wife had to put her bike on REServe at about 95 miles, when 'normal' was about 140-150. Gas mileage for that tank was about 28 mpg. Later on that same trip, she moved the lever to REServe at close to 200 miles. Gas mileage for that tank was 59.6 mpg.

Yes, using the trip meter might work, but you had better hope that you don't have an '80 bike with the "dreaded '80 petcock" that doesn't have a REServe.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yes, using the trip meter might work, but you had better hope that you don't have an '80 bike with the "dreaded '80 petcock" that doesn't have a REServe.
            Just strap a gas can to the back seat :-P

Comment

Ignore it completely until you go on reserve. It just doesn't matter unless you are far away from civilazation, in which case you will be planning ahead anyway. Slap the gas tank and listen. It will be obvious when its getting low. When it sounds low, open the gas cap and wiggle the tank on it's mountings, it will be obvious when it's nearly empty. Pay attention to the sound of your footsteps pushing the bike. It will be obvious when the tank is bone dry.

Do you really think we ran out of gas more often before there were gas gauges?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't really need it. I'm find doing the wiggle and peek method. Lol

Comment

My gas gauge works great but I never use it. When mine goes on reserve I have 1.1 gallons left, simple, find a gas station or get exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Using the trip meter as a fuel gauge might be the only option for some, but we have seen some extremes in range, so I find the idea rather ludicrous, at best.

On one trip several years ago, we were on the freeway doing about 70-75 mph into a headwind of about 15-20 mph. My wife had to put her bike on REServe at about 95 miles, when 'normal' was about 140-150. Gas mileage for that tank was about 28 mpg. Later on that same trip, she moved the lever to REServe at close to 200 miles. Gas mileage for that tank was 59.6 mpg.
                    Similar here. One weekend where I did a lot of short trips in town up and down the local by-pass, I was stunned when it went on reserve at 80 miles - about 20mpg (UK gallons, too).
                    Otoh, when accompanying a tiddler bike on the main roads at max 60mph, it returned 60mpg.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You could take the fuel gauge out of the old cockpit and mount it somewhere on the (left) side of the engine using a large pipe holder or similar clamp. I've seen people do it this way before.

Just checking mileage is a good idea anyway though
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

This ('82 1100e) is my first bike with a fuel gauge, so I love it. Been on reserve once or twice (the lever is so tiny). Reset the trip OD when I bought the bike and haven't touched it since. Not concerned with gas mileage.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                        X