GS750L Seat ideas anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L Seat ideas anyone?

Anyone out there have an L and did seat modifications on it? I still want to keep it a 2 up seat so I'm not going for the solo seat/cafe tail section but if anyone has any 2 up pics of a new seat I'd appreciate it!

Interested party here

Comment

What's wrong with your current seat? Is it stepped?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have a stepped seat and I think i'm going to redo it myself...the leather on it now is old and 2 buttons popped off, so I'm going to buy some new material and attempt to do it...i will post pix when I get it done.

Comment

Yeah it's stepped. Kind of an eye sore in my opinion. I'm getting used to it but I still want something different.

Comment

You could try something like this. It is a Corbin Sportster seat. Mounted old school and bolted to the rear fender. Had to cut the front and rear mounts off.
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Wow, that looks excellent!

Comment

My current GS850 L has a really poor seat..
                I will be taking on the task of stripping it off and doing a re-foam cushion and new covering...
                I have some ideas - and a plan on what I wish to accomplish...
                I have sourced the materials needed as I see it (except for the new vinyl cover which I am getting material at a local marine supply place)

The "L" seat is horrible on my 850 - the 650 I had last year was quite comfortable . I think the L style compresses the seat too quickly and forces the rider forward onto the tank too much...

At least mine does.... Please take pictures of your process and results to share with everyone...That is my plan...
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                  You could try something like this. It is a Corbin Sportster seat. Mounted old school and bolted to the rear fender. Had to cut the front and rear mounts off.
                  How did you attach the front of the seat? That's actually a pretty good fit. Can you snag some more pictures of what you did? I might go that option. Also what sportster seat is it?
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2014, 03:30 PM. Reason: More text

Comment

Well I was going to wait until I got it back from the upholster but I am not sure when that will be so here is what I did, I carefully removed the cover to get to the foam. I then Began the shaping process with a serrated bread knife to get rid of some of the larger portions of foam. Next I used a dremel with a sanding cylinder to get it a bit smoother and even, after that I used (either 60 or 80 grit) sand paper fixed to a block of wood to sand/shape the foam to the final shape. I think I spent about 90% of my time and effort with the sanding block because once removed it is really hard to put foam back on and it is easy to get a nice smooth finish on the foam which is important for recovering. Luckily my original cover was in good condition so I planned on using at least some of the center part (with the grid stitching) for the new cover. I did a little mock up pattern with paper so I had more than ideas to take to the upholstery guy to make sure we were on the same page as far as what I wanted. I think I did more shaping than what the pics show but you get the basic idea, hopefully I get the seat back next week and I will post pics of the finished seat on the bike.

[img]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s840.photobucket.com/user/yeti909/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>[/img]
                    Last edited by yekrahs; 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM. Reason: Pics
                    sigpic

'81 GS750LX with Katana fairing. Super custom.

Comment

Thanks. although your photobucket pic didn't work. haha

Comment

Working on the photos...sorry.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
                          How did you attach the front of the seat? That's actually a pretty good fit. Can you snag some more pictures of what you did? I might go that option. Also what sportster seat is it?
                          I will pull it off and take a couple pics for you. PM me your e mail and I will get them to you.

All I know is it is off a Harley Sportster and made by Corbin.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

At least here is a link to photos, sorry I am at work and cannot mess with posting pics too long.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yekrahs View Post
                              http://s840.photobucket.com/user/yet...bile%20Uploads

At least here is a link to photos, sorry I am at work and cannot mess with posting pics too long.

Thanks man. Keep me updated I'm probably going to do just that. It'll be nice to see someone else do the same thing first. I kind of like the seat design right now,

Comment

Working...
                              X