JB Weld time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JB Weld time

Just got the complete rubber set for my '82 1100e's side covers. Time to break open my package of JB Weld PlasticWeld and give it a go. Some questions:

1. Step #2 is "...knead putty with fingers..." My hands are pretty cracked, and it's a "skin irritant." It says "wear impermeable gloves." I have a lot of medical type rubber gloves, I know they'll give enough protection, but I was wondering if they will react with and change the putty. I'll let you know.

2. The instructions say it "can be molded or used to build up and repair" plastic. So missing side cover tabs can be re-created?

Fortunately I have a sizable collection of side covers (six), but I love each one and won't allow any to be trashed.

I'd just like to hear from people who've used "J-B Weld PlasticWeld" to repair and re-create missing side cover tabs.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I couldn't tell ya anything about the JB Weld product but I have useed fiberglass resin with great results. But all I needed was to reattach a tab.

I too would like to hear about the JB Weld product.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If you have a good anchoring tab consider rare earth magnets. Much less messy and stronger than Hell......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        If you have a good anchoring tab consider rare earth magnets. Much less messy and stronger than Hell......

Awesome idea. Those rare earth mags are strong!!
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I used that jb weld puddy to repair a crack in the side cover , when dry I swear its stronger as hell !! Butthats fixing a crack on the plastic covet .. dont know how strong it will be for the application your trying to use it on .. let me know how itworks out for you

Comment

The gloves shouldn't affect the putty.

There are lots of threads on side cover repair, see if you can find some. JB Weld will probably work fine but most people have the best luck with ABS plastic mixed with acetone into a slurry. To rebuild posts, tabs, and whatnot, bond a replacement object (e.g. piece of wire, plastic tab, whatever) to the cover with the ABS slurry. This method works best because the side covers are made of ABS, so the repair bonds well and has the same amount of "flex" as the cover.

I'm not too familiar with the JB Weld putty, but I'm curious if it will "flow" well enough to make an effective repair.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post

Cool idea, how are the magnets fixed to the panels?

Comment

Looks like tacky tape of some sort...

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                  I used that jb weld puddy to repair a crack in the side cover , when dry I swear its stronger as hell !! Butthats fixing a crack on the plastic covet .. dont know how strong it will be for the application your trying to use it on .. let me know how itworks out for you
                  I'm thinking I can create a little JB molehill on the cover sites of missing tabs, wait a few days, then do some sculpting with the Dremel I bought and only used once.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    I'm thinking I can create a little JB molehill on the cover sites of missing tabs, wait a few days, then do some sculpting with the Dremel I bought and only used once.
                    It will work for a while but epoxy has limited sheer stress capability.

Lay mans translation it will break off

Comment

From what I can remember, JBWeld plastic epoxy flows pretty quick. I think it would be kindof hard to re-create a tab on a side cover using this stuff. Ideally, I think it should be used to glue the broken piece back on. If you are dead-set on using this stuff I would say try to make a little plastic piece that fits nicely into the missing spot and then gob on the JB then dremel the excess off...

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedknuckles View Post
                        From what I can remember, JBWeld plastic epoxy flows pretty quick. I think it would be kindof hard to re-create a tab on a side cover using this stuff. Ideally, I think it should be used to glue the broken piece back on. If you are dead-set on using this stuff I would say try to make a little plastic piece that fits nicely into the missing spot and then gob on the JB then dremel the excess off...
                        read thread before posting
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

The Magnet idea is awesome. but if you want to keep the stock tabs. Make a Mold of the tab on a good side and use legos and Acetone to make a mouldable Plastic (ABS) slurry. Poor in the Mold and let it set. I would use some pins and Epoxy (or even some more slurry) to set it in place.

Melted lego is esentialy the same plastic that is used by plastic welders.

http://brandejs.ca/details.php?view=ninja_500
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                            read thread before posting

Excuse me?? I did, and I was stating what experience I had with JBWeld Plastic-weld just in case it may make a difference in how he approaches his repair.

The only contribution I see you making to this thread is calling me out about something that doesn't even make sense. Maybe YOU should read the thread before you open your mouth. Or better yet, keep yourself silent unless what you have to say is constructive. Leave the Forum "policing" to the admins...

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, i'm in the same boat with this but making the acetone slurry doesnt work here in Aus, the Acetone just doesnt do anything to the plastic at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X