How hard can it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard can it be?

Has anyone experimented with making new body panels for their bike? Trying to think through the process it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Have any of you attempted this? what materials did you use? how was the outcome?

Idea
    take original body part and fill out broken tabs/parts with clay.
    cast the part
    fill cast with pvc pellets or something
    profit

I am assuming its not that easy cause someone would be doing it by now. thoughts?

klingon disruptor for reference

Not sure how hard it would be. I do know that the side covers for my bike (gs550e) are still available new but they are like 50$ a piece. I'd be your first customer if you could make them cheaper than that! I would think fiberglass would be easier than plastic and a hell of a lot stronger as well.

Comment

didn't realize it but they are still made for my bike too. for $130. ouch

Comment

I am just absolutely thrilled that soooo many parts ARE still available NEW for these 30 year old bikes. ANY price is cheap versus making your own or repairing broken ones.

Comment

A mechanical engineer buddy of mine has made some of his own seat pans, cowls, and other various bike and automotive parts out of sheets of fiberglass, epoxy resin, and wood and foam blocks (used to create the shape)

He obviouslly uses other various tools and tricks to make his parts but I know those are the major components. From what he's told me its pretty dang easy and inexpensive. He's wanting to get into carbon fiber...

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
            didn't realize it but they are still made for my bike too. for $130. ouch
            If you could just make a replacement fuel door for the '83, you'd be in business...
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              If you could just make a replacement fuel door for the '83, you'd be in business...
              Make anything you want....

3D Printing

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X