Surprisingly Easy Wheel Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprisingly Easy Wheel Mod

Finally got my bike out for the season, eager to get my new parts put on it that I've bought over the winter. I bought some shorter shocks on eBay (10.5" eyehole to eyehole). I also bought a wire spoke wheel that came off of a 1975 Suzuki GT380. I was kinda skeptical about it fitting on my 83 gs650, but WOW, I was happy to discover that it was super easy. Everything was 100% compatible. I spent $80 on the wheel.

Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2014, 01:16 AM.

looks good. any other lowering work you did besides switching out the shocks? how are they working for you? i'm thinking of switching to shorter shocks as well, but since i'm heavier i don't want them bottoming out.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
      looks good. any other lowering work you did besides switching out the shocks? how are they working for you? i'm thinking of switching to shorter shocks as well, but since i'm heavier i don't want them bottoming out.
      So far, the only lowering I've done is the rear shocks. They came off an early 2000s Honda rebel. There's 5 different stiffness settings on the shocks, 1 being softest and 5 being stiffest. They come factory set at for riders about 150lbs on setting "2". People say that for every 50lbs, you turn it up a setting ("5" would be for 300lbs). I'm about 160 and have it set on "4", and so far it's not bottoming out. They're definitely good shocks.

If you do go with Rebel shocks, just be aware that you'll have to either drill out the Rebel's bushings, or press your Suzuki's shock bushings into the rebel shocks. Other than that, super straight forward!

Comment

excellent. thanks for the info.

Originally posted by csw55 View Post
        So far, the only lowering I've done is the rear shocks. They came off an early 2000s Honda rebel. There's 5 different stiffness settings on the shocks, 1 being softest and 5 being stiffest. They come factory set at for riders about 150lbs on setting "2". People say that for every 50lbs, you turn it up a setting ("5" would be for 300lbs). I'm about 160 and have it set on "4", and so far it's not bottoming out. They're definitely good shocks.

If you do go with Rebel shocks, just be aware that you'll have to either drill out the Rebel's bushings, or press your Suzuki's shock bushings into the rebel shocks. Other than that, super straight forward!

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
          Another thing to consider before you switch to shorter shocks, ... your driveshaft is most efficient when operating in a straight line. If you shorten the shocks, you will change the angle. If it were a constant-velocity joint, it would not matter, but it's a simple u-joint, so the output shaft changes speed twice with every rotation, which can really accelerate wear on the splines.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

good point. i'll look at modifying the seat before any other options. if i do anything with the rear shocks i'll want to lower the front as well. makes sense what you are saying.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Another thing to consider before you switch to shorter shocks, ... your driveshaft is most efficient when operating in a straight line. If you shorten the shocks, you will change the angle. If it were a constant-velocity joint, it would not matter, but it's a simple u-joint, so the output shaft changes speed twice with every rotation, which can really accelerate wear on the splines.

Comment

The quickest and easiest way to modify the seat is to shave a bit off the front corners. That will allow you legs to point down, rather than splaying out to the sides. It also leaves more of the padding back where you sit, leaving it reasonably comfortable.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X