Seat for tall guy on 650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat for tall guy on 650GL

I have searched the forums and found very useful information on seats but need help at this point. The very comfortable and in great condition stepped seat on my 650GL is simply too low and too far forward for my 6'-2" frame. I do like having the step because it keeps my body in the right position, its just too low and too far forward. I need it about 2-inches higher and to be able to slide my keester rearward about 2-inches. It is the original seat and previous owner took great care of the bike. It slides into two receivers at the front and snaps in at the rear with a keyed latch. Ideally, I would like to not destroy the seat in case I sell the bike. It seems I have the following options:

1. Move the seat up and back and find new way to mount it (can't imagine that is easy or would look good).
    2. Take the seat apart, reuse the steel bottom and rework the seat padding with a new cover.
    3. Find a taller seat that fits the existing mounting (doesn't seem likely based on my searches).
    4. Find a product that goes over the existing seat.

Thoughts?

You're about 5 inches too tall for GL/L seat (and probably the bike too) ! I'd keep the seat cuz you'll want to put it back on when you sell!

You could experiment with a G seat (no step though) or get ambitious and look for fat seat- either way, mounting will require getting creative .
    A gel pad might be a temporary solution. Have you ridden this bike much?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just find a 650G.

The (L)adie's models are for short people.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The sales brochure said it stood for Limited edition.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The brochure also said it had HOW MANY horsepower?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice link! I got the original brochures when I test rode one (yes a "L") in NH in 1981- I was impressed, but a few other things intruded on my motorcycling and had to wait!
            1981 gs650L

Comment

i got the bike for the right price to have something to ride during some lean times. at some point ill get a right-fit bike but for now i'll make do and it turns out to be fun to work on too. I managed to get the cover off to expose the molded foam and experimented with dense foam layers to raise it up a bit but not too much so my knees still hug the tank. I'll cover it with heavy grade vinyl and preserve the original foam and seat cover.

Comment

Working...
              X