Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove burnt plastic from exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove burnt plastic from exhaust?

Bike looks great but exhaust not so much...I've put it away warm before & the tarp hanging has contacted exhaust so I'm wondering what I might try to get that burnt plastic off? I havent tried anything yet. TIA!

Steel wool.

Comment

I wouldn't use an abrasive as it will mess up the chrome, try using acetone or cellulose thinners.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Get it hot again and scrape it off with a piece of wood, like a cedar shake or something..
        Then you can clean up what is left with something that is none abrasive
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Harry is on point..but I may add that you scrape toward the center of the spot so as not to spread it even further Let the pipes cool and use some Acetone or MEK. Goona take a lot of elbow grease though.

Was this the cover hitting hot pipes or a rain suit casualty?? just curious.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys, I use a tarp as a hanging wall kinda thing & park it next to it. I now let it cool down before bringing in to park.

Comment

Oven "easy off" cleaner. Wear rubber gloves, put some Easy Off on a rag, apply to the surface needing to be cleaned.
              Then wash with water.
              It's easy and works for boot marks, melted plastic, etc.
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

this stuff works great on rubber & plastic on pipes.

For chrome so bright, you gotta wear shades!

and if you have time to watch the video, it's informative and hilarious.

High speed pipe bluing removal is now 1000 x faster http://www.blue-job.comthan by hand with Blue-Job Chrome Polish. Use a good 12,000 RPM Random Orbital San...

Comment

Working...
                X