Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a trick for making Black Chone bolts / screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a trick for making Black Chone bolts / screws?

With there being so many "Black Chrome" parts and effects on bikes back in the early 80's it is sad that replacement parts have been long superceded by common white colored silver / or plated parts.

For a true resto where screws and bolts that were black chrome and no longer available does anyone have a solution?

I was thinking black nail polish might work.

Regular paint comes off in no time. Usually after the first time you take a screw bit or wrench to them.

Anyone?

Originally posted by 300kph View Post
    With there being so many "Black Chrome" parts and effects on bikes back in the early 80's it is sad that replacement parts have been long superceded by common white colored silver / or plated parts.

For a true resto where screws and bolts that were black chrome and no longer available does anyone have a solution?

I was thinking black nail polish might work.

Regular paint comes off in no time. Usually after the first time you take a screw bit or wrench to them.

Anyone?
    Ed Nessism had been using some of the Ca swell platting products. I think they have a dark plating process.

Comment

FWIW,
      You would anodize aluminum
      You would galvanize steel
      You could also powder coat the parts.. powder coating is supposed to be extremely hard, as in good luck sand blasting it off. And you can be quite selective with powder coating by masking off areas.
      Chris~

Comment

I'd go with powder coating. I'm new at it, but it's very tough, I've dropped parts on concrete several times now with no scratches or marring. I think it woud hold up to wrench twisting for quite some time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gun blue / black (not for aluminum)

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
          X