Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trunk recommendations for an '81 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk recommendations for an '81 GS850G?

Greetings all,

Any recommendations on a trunk for my '81 GS850G? I'd be especially interested in something that worked style-wise too. I've seen a lot of stuff that would like pretty silly on my bike.

Also, any mounting tips?

Thanks in advance for any contributions on this subject.

My favorite is Samsonite
    Here it is, with trunk only, but also with the removable side bag mounts still on:

Here it is with the complete set up, on the 1000G I keep in Maine (note the '83 1100G motor, ha ha) The Vetter has been removed and given away.:

On E Bay, from time to time, this stuff pops up. They also made a kit to mount the trunk on an aftermarket rack.

I own a rack with a nice Hondaline trunk on it, too. Its great. It did cost me six hundred dollars, but the PO delivered it. Mounted to an 850G which was included in the price:

I might sell that Hondaline set up, as I bought a full Samsonite set up for it already.
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Do you have a luggage rack ..?
      There are several decent choices at MotorcycleGear.com ..Thye have "tail bags" available that strap onto your existing luggage rack. Some of them are quite large too..

And inexpensive
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I just use a back pack

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do have a luggage rack but I am looking for something hard sided with a lock. Security is an issue where I live.

Comment

hard trunk, locking

I had a trunk on my GS850 and an xs650 that was similar to this, it locked, too:

1979 GS1000

Comment

The trunk on my 1100G is a KG, removable as well. It would look good on an 850G as well. Look at my signature photo.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up with the following Bestem trunk:

(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O77CMW/...332200_TE_item). Haven't used it yet, but here is a photo of it installed. Again, thanks.

IMG_2933.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steckmocr View Post
                  Yes, I do have a luggage rack but I am looking for something hard sided with a lock. Security is an issue where I live.
                  Keep in mind that there is virtually NOTHING that you can add to the bike that will be "secure".

Yeah, it might require a hammer, rather than a knife, but there is still little resistance to those who truly want to get your 'stuff'.

Originally posted by steckmocr View Post
                  Thanks to all who responded. I ended up with the following Bestem trunk:
                  Looks like a reasonable knock-off of a GIVI trunk.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X