Windshield suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a windshield for my 82' GS750E? I don't want a big one, just one that keeps the bugs off, and the wind off my chest.

National Cycle Deflector. I would suggest the DX version.

Here is what it looks like on a 650L:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I always wondered about the National Cycle shields. How much vibration is there?

Is there any noticeable input to the steering at speed/in windy conditions?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        I always wondered about the National Cycle shields. How much vibration is there?
        Any vibration will be caused by your bike, not the 'shield. Keep your engine tuned, there will be no vibration.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        Is there any noticeable input to the steering at speed/in windy conditions?
        No input at all, that I can tell. I have set the throttle lock on my wife's bike (click on the link in my sig) which has a larger 'shield on it, and ridden past a semi on the freeway with my hands off the bars. Yeah, they were close to the grips, but not actually touching them. Did that just to see how much (if any) input there might be, but the bike tracked right on past the truck with no problem.

In other words, I got about as much steering input on that experiment as I do when on my Wing.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Wow, $135 is not cheap haha. I saw a few on Amazon for $65-70, but I'm sure they are not very great. I think one was called the spitfire?

Comment

There are some here who have (or used to have) a Spitfire. Not acquainted with it personally, but take a good look at the hardware and mounting system. If possible, you want a 4-point mount to the bike. Some of the smaller shields only mount in two places, which might allow them to swivel on the bar (the usual mount). Having the additional mounting points prevents that.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Gotcha, I'll make sure to look out for that. It's been interesting riding without a bubble to re-direct the bugs away from me, but it's not awful, just different haha

Comment

Nobody said that it was going to be "cheap", but after riding bug-free and minimal-wind for a while,
                you won't worry about the cost, only why you waited so long to do it.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve! I'll put this in my bookmark for a future buy for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X