No announcement yet.

Cutting and fitting a new windshield to a GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice "MacGyver" job there! The whole project was well done.

K

Comment

thank you for the inspiration mr. highway glider. i mounted a vetter windjammer 3 on my gs1000g but i didn't like the height of the windshield. the idea of cutting it caused me much consternation. i figured i'd probably destroy it. so i just took the windshield off and rode without it for awhile. it looked kind of silly though. after studying this thread i decided to try cutting it down.

i used a spiral saw though, instead of a reciprocating saw like you used. it worked great.

if you don't mind i'd like to post a couple pictures in your thread when i have some time.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Nice job! I've yet to start work on my GK.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
          Sorry for the Typos and spelling. English is not my first language. I speak it well enough…Writing well…You be the judge.
          No apologies necessary, sir.

In fact, I wish that more of our "native-speaking" members wrote and spelled as well as you do.

Yeah, there were a couple errors here and there, but certainly nothing that detracted from the content.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
            thank you for the inspiration mr. highway glider. i mounted a vetter windjammer 3 on my gs1000g but i didn't like the height of the windshield. the idea of cutting it caused me much consternation. i figured i'd probably destroy it. so i just took the windshield off and rode without it for awhile. it looked kind of silly though. after studying this thread i decided to try cutting it down.

i used a spiral saw though, instead of a reciprocating saw like you used. it worked great.

if you don't mind i'd like to post a couple pictures in your thread when i have some time.
            Mind? Not at all.

I wrote this to brag of course but also, perhaps to teach. Maybe learn. I still learn. Sometime I relearn something that was forgotten.

I never owned a spiral saw. I think drywall when I hear that. How did you protect the finished surface from the tools?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            No apologies necessary, sir.

In fact, I wish that more of our "native-speaking" members wrote and spelled as well as you do.

Yeah, there were a couple errors here and there, but certainly nothing that detracted from the content.

Thanks Steve. Coming from you (One of the GSR Gurus) is high praise in my book.

I did reread myself several times and used the spell check profusely as I went. AND after submitting.

EDIT: Like just now.
            Last edited by Highway_Glider; 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM.
            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

here's how i cut the windshield on my windjammer. i used a spiral saw and it went very easily. i took my pictures after the fact so here's what it looked like before:

i needed something round to trace out a curve. this frisbee looked about right:

i cut my line free hand with the spiral saw which had a special plastic cutting blade. i put my finger between the saw and the windshield to keep it from scratching.

i ran the belt sander across the top a few times to even everything out. then at a slight angle to take off any sharp edge. here's the finished product.

i think i slipped a little with the belt sander, you can see a little scratchiness near the top. it's good enough for the bike i call "the ugly". so all done now, time to throw the frisbee for the doggy.

Last edited by Eli69; 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Hey Eli69.

Congrat.

How do those vents work for you?
                Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

An excellent example of the motto I live by in the garage:

If you need it and don't have it or can't get it, make it or modify it.

And to protect something from being scratched, all you have to do is apply some tape. Professional autobody techs will tape a painted hood or panel if they have to cut into it, for say like a hood scoop, to keep the paint from being boogered up. Some very fine sand paper will take those scratches out. But you have to use like 5000 grit to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                    Hey Eli69.

Congrat.

How do those vents work for you?
                    the windshield was old and scratchy. i couldn't see through it well at night. that's the main reason i cut it down. it was also too hot for me behind that big window. i really can't tell if the vents do anything but they can't hurt. when it gets cold in the fall i'll see if i'm any warmer with them closed. at that time i'll probably miss that big windshield but i'm sure i'll just deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                      i really can't tell if the vents do anything but they can't hurt.
                      The vents in a Windjammer windshield really don't do much for ventilation. Their main purpose is to relieve some of the vacuum behind the windshield to keep the "bubble" of still air from collapsing.

With the cut-down shield, there would not be as much vacuum, and the vents are even more worthless, but the only way to remove them is to buy a new shield.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X