Refinishing old Kerker 4-1 exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refinishing old Kerker 4-1 exhaust

I've read up a bit on doing this myself vs. ceramic coating and think I'll do it myself this first time and see how long it holds up. I should take the header and pipe off every few years anyway to keep the bolts from seizing up, right?

What's the best way to remove the rust and existing paint besides sandblasting it? Aircraft stripper and steel wool or scotchbrites or fine grit wet/dry? Or can I hit I with a wire brush on the drill or sanding pad on the air tool?

I do have a local powder coater that I get a good deal with through my work, but heard that holds heat in, opinions on that? Thinking I'll just use my VHT and PJ1 paint.
    Attached Files
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

I use something similar to touch up my engine.
    Attached Files
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Media blasting is the way to go IMHO.Never really got my Supertrapp header clean till I did that.So far the VHT Flameproof I used on it is holding up well.I attribute that to having the header clean and rust free.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
        Media blasting is the way to go IMHO.Never really got my Supertrapp header clean till I did that.So far the VHT Flameproof I used on it is holding up well.I attribute that to having the header clean and rust free.
        Prep Is everything.....I had a local shop replace a damaged tube on my header, then painted the whole thing (VHT I think).
        The new tube which was brand new clean steel is holding up beautifully. The others I cleaned as best as I could, but weren't perfect are showing some rust.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks all - the VHT seems to be good stuff. I've used it on my daughter's scooter exhaust and it's held up well even in the rain. Heat treating/curing it seems to help and I like the flat finish. I ordered the PJ1 on a recommendation from Z1, may use a little of both.

Considering this cheap Harbor Freight blast gun as it's only $25 and is rated 4 stars. Probably just use kids play sand, dried, screened, and using proper PPE of course.

An other thoughts on high temp powder coating? Jet Hot is a little steep for my budget right now. If my paint job doesn't hold up more than a few years, I'll redo it and look into ceramic or Jet Hot coating it.
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I looked into Jet Hot as well. If I recall it was around $350, but I forgot to mention the mid pipe. That was an additional charge per linear foot. At some point ill probably pull mine and more thoroughly prep it and do it myself again.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Before spending $400 for hot jet, I would sell it and use proceeds for a stainless exhaust.
              That pipe doesn't look bad at all. In fact it looks pretty new. Normally there is much more rust. I would get a wire wheel attachment or a flapper wheel and just clean up the small amount of rust on it. Also one of the many rust treatments to get at the deep crevases at the collector. The spray with a barbque paint. It will be flat black but durable and can be easily redone.

this is one of the problems with mild steel. It is a maintenance problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                I looked into Jet Hot as well. If I recall it was around $350, but I forgot to mention the mid pipe. That was an additional charge per linear foot. At some point ill probably pull mine and more thoroughly prep it and do it myself again.
                I had my V&H 4into1 Jet Hotted a looooong time ago, prices shure went up! I think I only paid 150$. But Id defiantly look into other exhausts before spending 350$.
                Ive used both PJ1 and VHT both worked well, I liked the PJ1 better it was more glossy and held up very well, needed to repaint occasionally.
                The jet hot is indestructible, even had it welded, ground the jet hot off, welded right next to it and it still stayed on right up to where I had ground it to weld!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                  I had my V&H 4into1 Jet Hotted a looooong time ago, prices shure went up! I think I only paid 150$. But Id defiantly look into other exhausts before spending 350$.
                  Ive used both PJ1 and VHT both worked well, I liked the PJ1 better it was more glossy and held up very well, needed to repaint occasionally.
                  The jet hot is indestructible, even had it welded, ground the jet hot off, welded right next to it and it still stayed on right up to where I had ground it to weld!
                  That is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    That is impressive.
                    Yes it is. But $400 impressive. Nah... Think I'd do like you said and put the money towards a new stainless pipe before I drop that kind of cash on it!

I'll hit it with a wheel and disc and prep and treat it good, forgot I had ordered a gallon of Evaporust to do a tank with kicking around. As you said the rust isn't that bad. The bike now has 8K miles on it, I've put 3k on since April and it's been a wet summer.

Thanks all!

Comment

The guy who welded it for me was impressed also! I don't think the weld was much more than an 3/16" away from the coating and it never showed the slightest sign of heat problems looked as good as the rest, regretfully I had to repaint the whole megaphone to get it to match where I welded it. But I figure the coating is under there protecting the ugly thing anyway.
                      They also Jet hotted the inside of the pipes claiming power increases because of exhaust gas temps staying higher. I cannot say I noticed but at the time I figured inside and out would be protected, I never had problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X