Saddle Bag install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle Bag install

Some may remember that my father had given my wife an old pair of saddlebags from his horse packer days. They basically became the primary design element for the build. I was extremely fortunate to stumble upon a seat that matches them perfectly for a mere $75!

I spent a few hours this week building a bracket setup to carry them. Most ideas I found out there were set up on hardtails. The swingarm and rear shocks did pose a few design challenges.
    Using a Grizzly metal bender, I started on one side and fitted up some 3/8 solid round stock I had.

I was able to tie it to the rear fender which not only gives a third support point, but stops the fender from shaking side to side.

I carefully matched up the opposite side, making a mirror image. Made sure that all measurements were exact and most importantly that it LOOKED straight and symmetrical from behind.

She did not want to cut the yoke off the bags, so I opted for a bridge over the fender. The yoke was too long to lay across the fender and keep the bags off the pipes. Plus, I didn't want to trash the paint!

The new bridge winds up blocking the fancy little (read: basically worthless ) indicators, so I fabbed up yet another little bracket, and added some small winkers. I also had to re- relocate the license plate. It appears to stick out awkwardly, but with the bags on, it is tucked in neatly!

the bags went inside for a thorough cleaning and buffing. I'll get pics of it wrapped up out in the sun today!!

Looking forward to the "after" pictures.

Do your supports go under the bags at all? I did that on my wife's bike to keep the bags off the pipes and provide some support for the "stuff" inside.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I didn't put any support on the bottom. The yoke is designed to carry the load on the horse, so I stayed with that. These are a lot smaller as well, so won't be loaded as heavy.

Comment

They Look very cool! Bike too! ...but (just occurred to me)....You might have to watch and see they don't get too stained with chain oil hanging that low. Possibly a shield could be attached if I am right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          They Look very cool! Bike too! ...but (just occurred to me)....You might have to watch and see they don't get too stained with chain oil hanging that low. Possibly a shield could be attached if I am right.
          Thanks for the heads up! I do have the factory chaingaurd on. Do you think it would need more than that?

Comment

Matt, I don't know! but I am messy and over-oil my chain and it gets around....there's a breeze there too so maybe over-oil yours and put a piece of stiff cardboard on your racks as a test. It'd be a shame to stain that leather or pollute whatever ol' pony's sweat was already giving the saddle bags a nice patina!

Comment

Working...
            X