Opinions on paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on paint?

I lean toward being a purist. I like to see bikes like they came from the factory (unless they were factory ugly). But I just painted this helmet and it's deep red candy with amazing reflective flake tempts me toward painting the bike to match. The factory red paint seems pretty flat in comparison.

Opinions please. (Including what is might do to the market value).

sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

paint it on how you want, it's your bike.....I painted mine pearl white, and I love it.....

Comment

I'm all for personalization. I'm thinking of doing mine in root beer pearl. Anyone can buy a bike, it's what you do to it that makes it yours. Just my opinion of course

Comment

It won't do **** to the market value. It's not a Cooley. Paint away.

Comment

My first thought is that much flake would look a little odd, just too much to take...but it isn't my taste you have to satisfy. I think it might impact your ability to sell down the road by limiting its appeal, but the right buyer would still lap it up, and I don't think you'd be taking a huge hit on your resale value.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The original color had a little gold flake. You can add as much as you want even to the point of making it orange.

I had a new mix of PPG made up to match the OEM color. The gold flake is sprayed on in a clear. You have to be very careful to get it uniform and not over do it.

This is with heavy pearl: direct sunlight it was pretty red but with alot of orange.

This is very overcast and shows much more orange

Same red color just a whole lot let gold flake

The clear adds much of the color depth that you just did not have in the OEM color shown here.

Last edited by posplayr; 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

It looks good, I like the top photo with the sun light, looks even, no blotches, as long as you like it thats all that matters. I've been shooting paint over 35 years, its hard to please all the people all the time.

Comment

I like the color of your bike, Glib, better than the color of your helmet.

Also love Posplayr's bike. In fact, my EZ is painted to look like an ED (it's always mistaken for one).

You asked.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Great comments so far. Just the variety I was looking for. I knew there was pearl in the OEM paint. Just didn't know it was gold. I was thinking also of adding a coat of red candy to deepen the red color without the flake or maybe just a hint of flake. I like hearing other ideas.

(What is the best source for the OEM decals)?
                  Last edited by glib; 09-18-2014, 06:05 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                  1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                  1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                  On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                  All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Your helmet puts to mind a book written by Tom Wolfe called " The Tangerine Flaked Streamlined Baby. Good read,on the history of racing, painting and cars. Although I could not put my fingers on it at the moment, I will have to re-read it this winter, as it would now portray the genesis of the flaked paint jobs and what it all meant at the time. I loved reading Wolfe's earlier stuff, as he was to me, the Charles Dickens of American culture throughout the later half of the 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                      Great comments so far. Just the variety I was looking for. I knew there was pearl in the OEM paint. Just didn't know it was gold. I was thinking also of adding a coat of red candy to deepen the red color without the flake or maybe just a hint of flake. I like hearing other ideas.

(What is the best source for the OEM decals)?
                      I personally think the red on black ED is iconic and although I don't have an issue with customizing, your helmet colours would be a little too too kustom for me.

Comment

I would paint it the new, much better looking than stock, red with less metal flake in the paint and call it done.
                        If anything, it should sell for more than the dull/boring stock color red. (I currently have three in red.)

Comment

The heavy metalflake aside, the helmet looks like it might fairly closely match the 82 1100 maroon.
                          Ive always dug the red on black 83 colors. Personally if the paint is in good condition I'd keep it as is. If not.......its a good time for a change.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            The heavy metalflake aside, the helmet looks like it might fairly closely match the 82 1100 maroon.
                            Ive always dug the red on black 83 colors. Personally if the paint is in good condition I'd keep it as is. If not.......its a good time for a change.

A nice clear coat with some nice PPG clear would look great. You can even shoot some more sparkles into first coat of clear.

Comment

Hijack

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                              Your helmet puts to mind a book written by Tom Wolfe called " The Tangerine Flaked Streamlined Baby. Good read,on the history of racing, painting and cars. Although I could not put my fingers on it at the moment, I will have to re-read it this winter, as it would now portray the genesis of the flaked paint jobs and what it all meant at the time. I loved reading Wolfe's earlier stuff, as he was to me, the Charles Dickens of American culture throughout the later half of the 20th century.
                              The Electric KoolAid Acid Test was my favorite.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X