Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you weaken your chassis when you cut off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you weaken your chassis when you cut off...

the rear 'fender holders' (no idea how it is called in perfect English...)

the metal bars leading to the rear blinkers (blue rectangle in picture)

would like to move to a more 'café racer style'...
    Attached Files

Just don't carry a passenger.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but someone will be by with more than I can offer.

Comment

Not as long as you bridge between the rails back there around the shock mounts. Even if you don't I doubt it means anything.

Comment

We don't know what they are called "in perfect English", either, we speak 'Murican here.

If you look across the back of those frame extensions, you will see a brace that holds the seat lock.

I am no engineer, but I would guess that it does provide at least a modest amount of rigidity to the rear portion of the frame.

The one bright spot here is that, with that removed, you will no longer be able to carry a passenger, which is probably the reason that brace was installed in the first place. The rest of the frame is apparently adequate, as many, many others have done it before you.

I presume they were successful, as I have not seen any posts saying "hey, don't do that, I was killed because my frame flexed too much while in a curve the other day".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have heard (rather, seen) people talk about leaving those two tubes unbraced resulting in a significant weakening of the frame. My guess is, they tend to spread under load.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

theres should be a cross brace about 2 - 3 inches in front of the shock mount joining the 2 top tubes, if there is one there its not a problem removing the rear rails they dont do anything apart from hold pillion and tail

ozman

Comment

Chop it up, ride it some, and then please let the rest of us know how it goes.

Comment

Ask the same question here http://www.caferacer.net/ and they can most likely answer for you, they do that kind of thing all the time.

I agree with others, you can cut them off but, you will need to brace it with steel for strength seeing as the shocks are mounted where you want to cut.

Or, you can just chop it like JJ says and take your chances.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

We cut that section off all the time on drag bikes with one piece body's. You just have to add some extra cross bracing and you will be fine.
                  My stable
                  84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                  85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                  88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                  98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                  90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                  00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Working...
                  X