New L Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New L Bars

Ok, don't everyone bash me at once. I really like the look and feel of my stock L bars. They are a bit tatty though. Does anyone know of any aftermarket bars that are the same or close? I'm doing the cosmetics over the cold months and would like some new ones.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

I am sure that Griffin or tkent probably have a stash of them, unless they have sold them for scrap by now.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you looking fro aftermarket replacements or the stock one? I am going with drag bars on my 82 1100GL.

Comment

He says he likes the look and feel of the stock L bars.

I think we have found the ONE person that actually likes them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jmanor View Post
          Are you looking fro aftermarket replacements or the stock one? I am going with drag bars on my 82 1100GL.
          Doesn't matter as long as they look new.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            He says he likes the look and feel of the stock L bars.

I think we have found the ONE person that actually likes them.

I like an upright riding position, with my feet a little forward. The L bars along with my floorboards does that, and it feels comfortable to me.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Try CX 500 bars they are very close and have the knurling to stay put.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                Ok, don't everyone bash me at once. I really like the look and feel of my stock L bars. They are a bit tatty though. Does anyone know of any aftermarket bars that are the same or close? I'm doing the cosmetics over the cold months and would like some new ones.
                I won't bash you...but why handicap yourself with L bars. At least G bars will give you an upright sitting position and not feel like you're detached from the front end. I'm not saying you can't scrape pegs while using L bars, but you'll use less effort trying to compensate for the vague feel of pull back bars. I also think that by pushing you back upright on the seat it puts all the body shock absorbtion directly up your spine since you have little weight on your feet and pegs or on the shoulders and hbars. The older you get IMO you'll regret not having an ergo neutral riding position. If you were closer to me you could have a few L bars that I threw aside from past bikes and even a GL500 (same as CX500 awkward bars) set you could take.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Been riding my L bars a long time for a reason and one reason only, they suit my needs. I am an old fart and ride sitting straight up, they do not hamper me in the twisties and it does not take much to get tons of leverage. The man was asking about L bars not superbike bars.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    Been riding my L bars a long time for a reason and one reason only, they suit my needs. I am an old fart and ride sitting straight up, they do not hamper me in the twisties and it does not take much to get tons of leverage. The man was asking about L bars not superbike bars.

V
                    Amen, glad to know I'm not the only one.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

This is complicated by different bars for different markets. Many of the US-sold GSs had higher stock bars than the European models.
                      I also wonder if the L-series bars in the US were more akin to the Special bars I've just taken off my XS650 - they didn't suit me at all and if weren't for shipping costs, you'd be welcome to them.
                      Personally, I also prefer an almost-upright cruising position, but in exactly the position you find on a BMW RT tourer series of the 80s - that suited me down to the ground and I've kitted my distance bikes with bars to emulate that, since. Short-run local rides can have flatter bars, of course, as the back, shoulder, neck, knee and elbow pain doesn't kick in locally.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
                        I didn't say anything about superbike bars? I suggested G bars which are almost as upright and have a more neutral backward sweep than L bars as an alternative. Hbars are a personal choice and pick whatever you want, but if someone can suggest that you might try something different that might suit your needs then why not consider it. You might find the G bars will suit your needs and that the L bars may indeed have been a handicap after all these years you old fart! Besides, I'm may be older than you so listen to your elders....and you can teach an old dog new tricks!
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                          I'm may be older than you so listen to your elders....and you can teach an old dog new tricks!
                          Kinda reminds me of a song !

Sweet as L

Comment

And oh ya,
                            I love my L bars too!
                            Sweet as L

Comment

I've got a nice set off an '81 750 LX if you are interested
                              sigpic

'81 GS750LX with Katana fairing. Super custom.

Comment

Working...
                              X