Saddlemen seatcovers - quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddlemen seatcovers - quality?

From a previous thread I find I can get Saddlemen covers from a couple of local dealers - any opinions on the quality/longevity of them? They don't seem too pricey for single covers - around $68 recommended retail for the GS850, but that's before the usual Rip-Off Ireland factor kicks in. I don't want to pay what could end up at well over $100 for something that's just not going to last.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Im on my second one. 82/83 1100E's had a tendency to rip along a seam close to the gas tank. Mine did at about 10 years and it took me another 10 years to change it. The first Saddleman lasted another 10 years and now Im on my second. They look pretty good for the price.
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 10-25-2014, 04:30 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If they only last about 10 years, then my wife's bike will be due soon.

However, she has not been riding much lately, so it will be a while longer.

We have the double-bucket setup on her bike (click link in sig to see the picture), quality has always appeared good.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, I'll give them a closer look then; thanks.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

I bought my last one from Ebay and the seller is mac32756. The fit is perfect and it's the most durable one I've ever had, with the exception of the OEM covers. His prices are really good, too. He sews a thin layer of foam into the cover and it really does seem to make it more comfy. (I've had several Saddlemen seat covers but they never seemed to hold up very well.)
          Last edited by rockford; 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM.
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

The 650 I have came with one when I bought it 5 years ago. It looks nice and I think it will last another 5 years. I'd buy one next time.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Paul gave me his 'used' one as he wanted a stock one. It was in perfect condition when he gave it to me for my 80' 1000G and I've put probably 12'000kms on it since then and it still looks the new. Some people say they are a bit thicker than stock, which they are, and don't like that but I think it's great and it definitely is not 'too' thick to make it look weird. I would buy another for sure.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Recently I bought a Saddlemen cover for my 650G to tide me over while I had one in the '83 pattern made by Pit Replica. While I have no complaints about the quality of the build and materials, it just didn't sit right on my seat, probably due to me not using the pan teeth to hold it down, and just relying on its draw string.

Yesterday, I picked up my Pit Replica cover, and it is no doubt a superior product. Like rockford's EBay seller, Pit Replica sews in the foam, just like OEM, and includes a waterproof plastic to protect the foam. While the faux stitching is not a perfect match, it does pass the 1 foot inspection. It remains to be seen whether the material stands the test of time, but it looks and feels the same or better than the material Saddlemen use.

Had Saddlemen been able to provide the proper pattern for my year/model, I would have been happy enough with their product, but given a choice, I'll stick with Pit Replica. Can't really go wrong with either I think.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well, to answer the question, I had one on one of my bikes for a little over 20 years before it needed to be replaced due to a small 1" tear.
                  Well over 100,000 miles too.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                    Well, to answer the question, I had one on one of my bikes for a little over 20 years before it needed to be replaced due to a small 1" tear.
                    Well over 100,000 miles too.
                    That's a pretty strong endorsement, I'd say.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen; much food for thought, there.
                      The mac32756 prices are very good, but spoiled by a shipping cost of $42 - I'll drop him a query about sending it USPS 1st Class instead, which would knock nearly $20 off that.
                      If he won't come down a bit, it will be a Saddlemen by the looks of things.
                      And this has suddenly caught my eye - it's so very tempting and something I fancied getting a long time ago
                      ---- Dave

Comment

That is an odd piece of kit for day to day riding, but would do nicely for long-haul tours. You probably can't do better for the price and work involved to install.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Thanks, gentlemen; much food for thought, there.
                          The mac32756 prices are very good, but spoiled by a shipping cost of $42 - I'll drop him a query about sending it USPS 1st Class instead, which would knock nearly $20 off that.
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/281467002615
                          I thought you must be mistaken about the shipping cost until I noticed that you're in Ireland!!! That still seems really unreasonable but I see that he uses an automated feature to figure shipping costs. I hope he'll refigure it and offer you a better deal.
                          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

If your seat cover isnt listed on the Pit Replica site they will make you a free one for supplying the cover for replication. Be mindful this may tale a few months turn around time but the covers are well worth the wait and being choosey.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Pit Replica looks much better. On an 1979 - 1981 850/1000G, the Saddlemen is too thick on the bottom to put the stock side trim back on to the seat. They work fine. They don't look as stock as I wanted.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X