Another Fairing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Fairing thread

ive been reading through all the fourms in the archives about fairings. I have a 1980 suzuki gs1000g. I posted in the newbie thread. Ive put about 2500 miles on it in a month and some change before the riding season ended. My only complaint about riding is the wind beats me like a sail. I wear full riding gear and a full face helmet. I was looking at the small fairings like the wes cooley, Maier small one, or a small cafe racer type fairing. I do not want a windjammer, and particularly not a high windshield. Question is will these take some of the wind off me to where i can tell a difference?

types of ones im looking at here

Take a look at the one on my son's 650L (link in my sig).

That is a National Cycle Deflector DX. (<-- click this link, too)

Not large enough to be obtrusive, but definitely takes most of the beating off your chest.

Last edited by Steve; 11-05-2014, 11:22 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
      ive been reading through all the fourms in the archives about fairings. I have a 1980 suzuki gs1000g. I posted in the newbie thread. Ive put about 2500 miles on it in a month and some change before the riding season ended. My only complaint about riding is the wind beats me like a sail. I wear full riding gear and a full face helmet. I was looking at the small fairings like the wes cooley, Maier small one, or a small cafe racer type fairing. I do not want a windjammer, and particularly not a high windshield. Question is will these take some of the wind off me to where i can tell a difference?

types of ones im looking at here

https://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/la...ound-headlight
      It is not like riding behind a big Windsheild, but you will certainly feel the difference.

It is hard to put a number on it but if no fairing was a 1 and a massive fairing was a 10, then I would say the Maier was about a 3.

Comment

I bought a used Maier from someone here a while back. I'm pretty sure it's the large one. It definitely makes a difference in that it keeps the wind off of your torso, so you can be a little warmer in cool weather. I found that it directed a pretty good blast at my head though, which bugs me on the highway. It had been repaired, and while the repairs held the thing developed new cracks rather quickly, I had to take it off a few weeks after I put it on. It's not really worth repairing to me, but it was worth buying cheep and experimenting with. The results are, I won't buy another one, it just doesn't work for someone with my dimensions. Thinking something more like Mr. Steve Jrs Deflector Screen down the road.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Over tightening the mounting holes with no stress relief will crack the fairing.

Comment

I have the small Maier, put it on earlier this year. Certainly not a Windjammer but does a good job for me. As Allie mentioned you need to play with the angle & height of the shield to keep the air flow from being directed directly at your head but it only took a few minutes for me to find the right placement.

To answer your question, it made a big difference for me in my riding comfort. I originally thought I would use just for the highway but I leave it on all the time. There is probably a pic somewhere in my signature links.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              Thinking something more like Mr. Steve Jrs Deflector Screen down the road.
              Uhhh, ... that would be "Rat Bagger".

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Uhhh, ... that would be "Rat Bagger".

Jeez now I know, when I visit Chateau Steve I will have to know not only the names of all the people but all the bikes as well!

It may have been more than just a case of over tightening with that fairing. I made the mounting brackets for it, and although I thought I had a fairly neutral angle for the fairing contact, I probably ended up cheating a little by making the fairing bend to conform to fit the angle of the bracket. But the first part to fail didn't have any such stresses, and wan't over tightened. It was a little hole I drilled on the bottom for a 'chin retainer' - I must have done something wrong when I drilled it. Maybe the pressure from making a dimple to start the drill in?

I'm not sure how much I could play with the angle of the Maier, it seems you're kind of stuck with having to contact the headlight uniformly. I think a windshield like the Deflector Scr - I mean, the Rat Bagger screen offer a little more latitude.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Jeez now I know, when I visit Chateau Steve I will have to know not only the names of all the people but all the bikes as well!

It may have been more than just a case of over tightening with that fairing. I made the mounting brackets for it, and although I thought I had a fairly neutral angle for the fairing contact, I probably ended up cheating a little by making the fairing bend to conform to fit the angle of the bracket. But the first part to fail didn't have any such stresses, and wan't over tightened. It was a little hole I drilled on the bottom for a 'chin retainer' - I must have done something wrong when I drilled it. Maybe the pressure from making a dimple to start the drill in?

I'm not sure how much I could play with the angle of the Maier, it seems you're kind of stuck with having to contact the headlight uniformly. I think a windshield like the Deflector Scr - I mean, the Rat Bagger screen offer a little more latitude.
                  You shouldn't need to centre pop/dimple something as soft as Perspex/windshield plastic, and a good tip is to use an old or blunt drill bit to make your holes and use plenty of drill speed but slow feed, that way the drill doesn't tend to bite or snap as break through is achieved.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                    You shouldn't need to centre pop/dimple something as soft as Perspex/windshield plastic, and a good tip is to use an old or blunt drill bit to make your holes and use plenty of drill speed but slow feed, that way the drill doesn't tend to bite or snap as break through is achieved.
                    Where wuzya I tellya?? Where wuzya way back when??? Thanks Tatu I'll know next time.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

We made it easy for you, Allie.

The bikes and their riders have the same names.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Take a look at the one on my son's 650L (link in my sig).

That is a National Cycle Deflector DX. (<-- click this link, too)

Not large enough to be obtrusive, but definitely takes most of the beating off your chest.

Im not opposed to the deflector idea, I just like the looks of the maier cafe fairing the best, to he homest the deflector would prob do a better job though. After my last long ride i felt like i had done 1 pullup for 8 hours after the wind, my shoulders were sore for days. I searched multiple fairing threads and never got a clear cut answer to what people thought the difference was between small (Maier), medium(Deflector), large (Windjammer).
                        Like i said i know Windjammers are by far the best but they are not my style. Thanks for all the opinions keep em coming and post pictures if you got them!

Comment

Where wuzya I tellya?? Where wuzya way back when??? Thanks Tatu I'll know next time.
                          Thinking about it, another good tip is if you're in doubt about starting the hole is to stick a bit of masking tape where you're going to make your hole, it stops the drill from skidding and scratching up the job, this also works if you're drilling through paintwork and car bodywork.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                            Like i said i know Windjammers are by far the best but they are not my style.
                            "Windjammers" (a registered trade name) might have the reputation for being the best, but they lack a LOT, when compared to other frame-mounted fairings. And, you are not alone when you say "they are not my style".

I have never had one mounted to any of my bikes, but I have ridden several bikes that had them. I have also ridden behind many other fairings, on my bikes and others. Generally-speaking, I would probably put the Vetter Windjammer near the bottom of the list, right next to "no fairing at all".

The Plexifairing III on my wife's bike has all the protection of a 'Jammer. In fact, because of the built-in lower legs, it has more, unless you attach the optional lowers to the 'Jammer. Where the Plexifairing lacks, is in 'storage'. There is none. To be honest, there is not much more room available on a 'Jammer, but there is at least some. I was spoiled many years ago by the HUGE barn door of a fairing on my KZ1300, which could hold more than some of the saddlebags I see pictured on bikes here on GSR. My ZN1300 Voyager's fairing had a single pocket that would not hold a decent pair of riding gloves, it was more of a "document pocket". My Wing has a couple of small pockets. One is filled with electronic wiring for accessories, the other has documents and spare fuses.

The Pacifico AERO fairing on my 850 is smaller overall than the 'Jammer, but has more storage room inside. It also gives better wind protection and sits lower, out of the line of sight, not to mention almost half the weight.

I realize that a large frame-mounted fairing does not appeal to everyone, I am just pointing out that there are major differences amongst them. Similarly, there are major differences among all the smaller handlebar-mounted ones, hope you find something you like.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks for the information, I dont really mind not having storage on the fairing. I honestly am the biggest fan of a open bike no windshield or fairing unless its a cooley clone ect. I then realize I would enjoy riding more if my riding jacket didnt double as a parachute at times. Would the Maier fairing I posted would be considered a small one or a larger one? Im not dead set on this one but the cafe racer bobber viper ones I found on ebay I dont like as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X