Painting over chrome fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting over chrome fenders?

I'm sure there are those who think this might be a bad idea. I'm not so sure about it myself. I have access to a large enough sandblaster, so I can prep the fenders if I decide to go this route. I have 2 front fenders, both of which have a few dings. I'm thinking of painting the worst one. If I don't like the look, I can always go back to chrome.

I'm sure it's been done before. Does anyone have pics of an L with painted fenders? Might look like crap, I dunno.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Any paint job begins with prep. with chrome, you are going to have to blast all the way to the base steel, because chrome and paint don't get along and the paint will begin chipping and flaking in short amounts of time.

Comment

Pics please!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I painted both chrome fenders on my fiance's 750L. Just used orbital sander with 80 grit paper to get it rough then used 150 to smooth out the scratches. Primed with auto engine enamel and shot color with same. Cleared with high temp clear and sun baked for a few days. 500 miles and front fender shows no wear at all.

Comment

That's what I was hoping to see. I think it looks great. You've even blacked out the headlight bucket, which is something else I was considering.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Mine is painted as well. When I repainted it to black, after stripping it all that had been done to it was heavy sanding to etch it all up for the paint to adhere. Still holding up 3 years later.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I have GLASS BEAD BLASTED many many pieces of chrome plated stuff, painted them , and NEVER had a problem.
              including fenders, chain guards, and headlites.
              You can get a small bead blaster for cheep but you need a compressor that will keep up to it, or do a lot of waiting. either way, it wil work.

Comment

As others have said. Give the paint something to grab onto by either sanding or blasting the chrome. Degrease everything before you apply paint. Every paint-over-chrome failure I've seen was due to poor prep work.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                X