Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 GS750E OEM Paint Spray Can match -- Burgundy? Maroon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS750E OEM Paint Spray Can match -- Burgundy? Maroon?

Hi all,

I just picked up an '81 GS750E for cheap in hopes that I can get it running again.

It came with a Vetter Windjammer in white and looks horribly out of place on the (Burgundy? Maroon? Red?) bike.

I'd like to find out if anyone has found a decent match for the OEM paint in a rattle can. I used the search function, but didn't find anything or didn't use the right search term.

Thanks in advance,

SupermotoFan

Originally posted by SupermotoFan View Post
    Hi all,

I just picked up an '81 GS750E for cheap in hopes that I can get it running again.

It came with a Vetter Windjammer in white and looks horribly out of place on the (Burgundy? Maroon? Red?) bike.

I'd like to find out if anyone has found a decent match for the OEM paint in a rattle can. I used the search function, but didn't find anything or didn't use the right search term.

Thanks in advance,

SupermotoFan
    I have 2 bikes in that same color but gave up looking a long time ago, be interesting to see if anyone has come up with anything.
    Sweet as L

Comment

If you take a part of your bike to an autobody supply store, they can usually match the color via a scan of the part, it will give a blend-able match from millions of colors in the system. That said, even if you found a rattle can close to your color, you would have to clear it to give the depth and protection. If you have a spray gun then your 1/2 way there. PPG uses the "prophet" system for acquiring the match, Dupont and others use a similar system. A shop will charge you anywhere from $250-500 to just spray the fairing. Where are you located?

Comment

You could do what I did with my '82 1100EZ.
        There are some pigments in the paint that I guess contained lead so they could no longer use them, long story short - the paint is no longer available.
        I took the side cover with me to the largest car dealer I could find that offered numerous brands and voila! I found it.

In my case, it was a perfect match, a 2010 Dodge truck.

Final product:

The tank and tail piece are original but, as you can see, the side covers and fairing have been painted with the Dodge Inferno Red paint. The only way you can tell that the side covers have been painted is if you pay close attention to the GS1100E, it was hand painted on and the only difference between the newly painted and the original is the original showed GS1100E where as the newly painted shows GS 1100E.

That's what worked for me and it might work for you. Just my suggestion, that's all.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
          If you take a part of your bike to an autobody supply store, they can usually match the color via a scan of the part, it will give a blend-able match from millions of colors in the system. That said, even if you found a rattle can close to your color, you would have to clear it to give the depth and protection. If you have a spray gun then your 1/2 way there. PPG uses the "prophet" system for acquiring the match, Dupont and others use a similar system. A shop will charge you anywhere from $250-500 to just spray the fairing. Where are you located?

$250-$500 to spray the fairing would be fine except for the fact that the whole bike was only $200 and after parts to get it running I should only be up to about $500.

I'm definitely going rattle can (If I paint it at all), and I will clear it after I spray it.

Does anyone know what Suzuki called the color?

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

$250-$500 to spray the fairing would be fine except for the fact that the whole bike was only $200 and after parts to get it running I should only be up to about $500.
            I just love the logic. Does that mean that, no matter what, you will never spend more than $200 for anything on the bike?

Look at it this way: The bike is probably worth at least $1200. You spent $200 on it. You now have about $1000 to spend.

Does anyone know what Suzuki called the color?
            According to the parts fiche, it was "Candy Imperial Maroon".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I just love the logic. Does that mean that, no matter what, you will never spend more than $200 for anything on the bike?

Look at it this way: The bike is probably worth at least $1200. You spent $200 on it. You now have about $1000 to spend.

Well said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

My logic is not faulty. My wallet is.

It would be great if the bike were to be worth $1200, but that still doesn't mean that I have $1000 to spend.

Thank you for the help on the color, the name might help me to locate some close spray paint.

Comment

Working...
                X