Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get aftermarket headlight and gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get aftermarket headlight and gauges?

I have an '82 GS450E. It is mostly stock, except for clubmans and bullet turn signals. I have recently been considering changing the headlight and instruments. For the headlight I am thinking just keep the stock one, but add one of those visor things to it. I could also replace the light with an aftermarket one, like one of the LED halo ones. I thing they look pretty cool, but I'm not sure how well it would fit with the pseudo-cafe racer style I am eventually working towards. I also have been considering replacing the gauges. The stock cluster works fine, but I just think it looks a little bit clunky and ugly. Also, mine is a bit cracked on the bottom right corner. Does anyone think it is a good idea? And if so what kind should I get. The stock cluster has a gear indicator, which I think is really cool, but obviously not necessary.

I have bought a speedometer (with N light, etc...) and Tach from Dime city. I just mounted them but have not wired them in yet for my 82 GS1100 project.

Comment

I can't speak to the headlight but I am getting the Trailtech Vapor with the add on surround for turn signals etc and I'm fabbing an aftermarket gear indicator onto it that I got on eBay from China. I like the idea of electronic gauges etc. The kit number for the unit that will work with old air cooled Suzuki's, according to Justin Yancy with Trailtech, is 752-704. Gear Indicator Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Universa...item4ab78caedd

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think for now I least I will stay with the regular headlight, unless someone convinces me otherwise by the time I order the replacement bulb in the next couple of days. As far as the gauges go, I think something fairly low profile would be best. I saw some headlight buckets that have the gauge imbedded, old British bike style. They look really cool, but then you can only have one gauge, and I would like to have speedo and tach. They also are a bit longer than the stock bucket, which I don't particularly like. I also would prefer analog gauges to digital.

Comment

I had the black 2.5" mini speedo and tach from dime city cycles. They cleaned up the front end real nice.

Comment

Personally couldn't stand the large cluster. Also got the mini speedo and tach from dime city. I much prefer the minimalistic look

unnamed.jpg

Comment

but the blue led I think is to powerful, it annoyed me a little since we have a lot of tunnels here and some don't have lights which means I have to use the high beam :P

Comment

excellent point,Spiff. I tried a similar one (smaller cheaper than yours) and the superbright leds are annoying at night. Some kind of scratched or matted plexiglass cover over these might do it...but I found my tiny speedo too small to bother looking at anyways. ...in the end, I managed to cobble a "no-ugly-case" cluster together from a T .

Ask me about pitfalls if you think you might want to go my route. I had a bit of a struggle because I had to mixnmatch gauges.

added. some form of resistor might dim those leds if you don't drop it below "forward voltage"
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-19-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X