Paint stripping question for plastic piece side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint stripping question for plastic piece side covers

Recently got a GS650 and the side covers are layered in paint. Looks like some brush work LOL I am decent with prep on metal items but how exactly do you remove the paint without damaging the cover themselves?

Short answer is break out the sandpaper.Chemicals that will remove paint will make a plastic glop out of the side cover.I haven't tried to media blast plastic but I can see that going bad quickly.

Comment

Plastic safe paint remover..its at Orielleys for sure and probably any reputable supply house. Cant say as if it leaves any residue behind that would effect the paint as I have never used it. Just know it exists.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Editing Post: After learning more about ABS plastic and the Aircraft Paint Strippers, I would not make a recommendation to use it. Acetone is used to melt/bond ABS together so obviously it will cause a permanent change to the plastic if it makes its way to the surface of the plastic. I'm not saying it can't be used but you would be using it at your own risk, so definitely test first if posible.

Original:
        There are chemical paint strippers that will remove paint but not harm certain plastics. Usually they say Fiberglass Paint Remover. "Aircraft Fiberglass Paint Remover" is one, available at automotive stores that supply paint and and bodywork materials. I have used this on composite model airplanes (0.5mm balsa laminated with 2oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy and painted with automotive paint). I have not used it on a motorcycle cover so I recommend testing in an inconspicuous area.

Here is a link:

The best thing for paint prep (final cleaning product) is PPG DX330 - 'Acryli-Clean'. It is a wax and grease remover that works great on plastics. You apply it by wiping on in one direction with a clean cloth damp with product (or spraying in a hand-held sprayer/mister), then wipe it off with a clean cloth again in one direction, using a clean side or new cloth with each wipe. The DX330 will 'float' chemicals to the surface where they can be easily absorbed into the cloth and wiped away. By using a fresh cloth or fresh side of the cloth you ensure you won't be spreading contaminants around. The cover is small so you can really do it with the front and back of one rag per cover. Use this as your final step, after washing and rinsing the surface to be painted. It is the best defense against fish eyes and other blemishes caused by contaminants.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2014, 04:30 PM. Reason: Changed post to reflect findings on acetone and ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
          There are chemical paint strippers that will remove paint but not harm certain plastics. Usually they say Fiberglass Paint Remover. "Aircraft Fiberglass Paint Remover" is one, available at automotive stores that supply paint and and bodywork materials. I have used this on composite model airplanes (0.5mm balsa laminated with 2oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy and painted with automotive paint). I have not used it on a motorcycle cover so I recommend testing in an inconspicuous area.

Here is a link:

From the label..."Contains Acetone, Methanol, Methylene Chloride, and Toluene."

Risky to use on an ABS side cover. I'd test on a small area before use.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was worried about sanding and getting too hot, might melt with the chemicals as well. I'll start with some paper and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              From the label..."Contains Acetone, Methanol, Methylene Chloride, and Toluene."

Risky to use on an ABS side cover. I'd test on a small area before use.
              That is a good point - prolonged exposure with ABS might cause some damage. You could probably get away with using a rag damp with aircraft stripper followed by a rinse.

But re-thinking this, the need here is just to smooth and prep the surface - if it doesn't have to be paint free I'd probably avoid the chemicals.

Comment

Good point Joe. I too am gonna face the side covers and tail piece on my 76 KZ650 project. The paint is done in 3 stages..silver metal flake base,candy red, and then candy clear.

What ive been wondering is this..can I scuff it real nice and apply fresh silver over the old red or does it require to be down to bare plastic again??
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'd be VERY careful about leaving any paint underneath.My 85 750's new paint has developed warts on some bits from a paint reaction I'm guessing.Looking at another strip down and repaint.

Not a small job on the EF

Comment

Point noted. May do the "plastic safe" stripper and the wax and grease remover treatment as mentioned in an above post. Not a nick in them but the old paints the underlying issue here for me.

Comment

I use a random orbital sander with 100 Grit sandpaper. Once you have the paint off you can use 220 block sanded. Just go easy with the orbital sander along sharp edges.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

After learning more about ABS and acetone I felt the need to update my first response to this thread. I have copied it here:

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                        Editing Post: After learning more about ABS plastic and the Aircraft Paint Strippers, I would not make a recommendation to use it. Acetone is used to melt/bond ABS together so obviously it will cause a permanent change to the plastic if it makes its way to the surface of the plastic. I'm not saying it can't be used but you would be using it at your own risk, so definitely test first if posible.

Comment

Working...
                        X