style change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

style change

i've got me a 1981 gs 650 gt; with the slab sided tank and flat bars; but am wondering whether the L/T model handle bar; tank and bodywork will fit my frame;
    many thanks robbie;
    i'm not going to lose huge amounts of sleep with moving brackets and suchlike; if i fit a pair of triumph US spec T140 Bonneville bars (I am allowed to; i am english; Triumph; the best bikes in the world;hahahahahaha; til i rode a gs 850) and leave it at that;
    GS 850; probably the best motorcycle ever built; there is no no probably about it; fantastic motorcycles
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2015, 07:49 AM. Reason: answer/reply

Generally speaking no they will not fit without modifications. And you may be the first person in the history of this site to want to take a G and put L/T parts on it. Usually it's the other way around. Most people don't like the smaller tank and buck horn bars found on the L models, myself included. Yet, my fiance loves hers, as seen in the link in my sig. Best bet is to buy an L or T, and go from there. Sell the G to fund it. Or keep it. Nothing wrong with more than 1 (or 4) GS's in the garage lol.

Comment

You can use L bars, but might have to use longer cables. The T tank is a single bolt the L tank 2 bolts I believe on the 81.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        And you may be the first person in the history of this site to want to take a G and put L/T parts on it. Usually it's the other way around.
        That's true, but there's been many bikes posted here that members have bought or considered buying where a PO has done it. Especially the front end from what I've seen. Sometimes tanks too, but I don't think I've seen anyone change to the buckhorns. I usually notice these things, I like the L's.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
          That's true, but there's been many bikes posted here that members have bought or considered buying where a PO has done it. Especially the front end from what I've seen. Sometimes tanks too, but I don't think I've seen anyone change to the buckhorns. I usually notice these things, I like the L's.
          I think the change to leading axle may be due in large part to the fact that L parts are (seemingly) less popular and therefor cheaper to obtain. Of course I haven't been on the GS scene nearly as long as a lot of the folks here so I may be completely off mark but these are just my own observations. I see various L model bikes running $200-500 all the time whereas the equivalent G or E etc models run far more.

Comment

Working...
          X