650GL Different cables for lower bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650GL Different cables for lower bars?

First post, brand new here! Anyways, so for my first bike, I got an 83 650GL for $600. Runs awesome, but its been sitting outside so this winter I've just been cleaning it up and also adding some small mods. I rode it for a bit before winter and I noticed I need new bars. I race dirtbikes and that's what brought me into the world of street bikes so I'm more comfortable riding more-forward, flat bars (the complete opposite of the bars on my 650GL). I am looking at the Renthal Road bars (probably ultra low) and I was wondering what to do with the cables. I know some people have rerouted them, but the people I've seen just reroute them didn't have a GL (which has the more swept back bars making the cables longer if I understand right?) so I'm stuck wondering if I need shorter throttle, choke, clutch cables, and also front brake line, or if I could just reroute them, or what cables to get if I should really get new ones?

Any help would be appreciated, and would make my first build go a lot smoother. Thanks! 071.jpg

Check out this thread, it may help you out: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...rottle%20cable.

I was able to re-route the cables on my 78 GS750 as a temporary fix, but you need to be very careful with the throttle cable that turning to the steering stop on either side you don't have any binding or pulling.

And congrats on the bike, nice score!
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

Depending on how low your new bars are, you can probably get a set of cables for the 650G or the 650E. Not sure if the 650M (Katana) has lower bars than the other two.

One other thing you can do is to send a PM to member Wingsconsin, who also lives in Sussex. Yes, it's a small world.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X