Keeping flex in old vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping flex in old vinyl

Chuck's query about re-dyeing his seat covers got me thinking...
    Anyone know whether there are any polishes or cleaning agents to avoid on vinyl seating?
    Reason I ask, is I'm fairly sure my current seat cover should have lasted a bit longer than it has, but it's not OEM anyway, so is of undeterminate quality. I only recall it wasn't all that cheap and wasn't rubbish when new.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Mine are sun faded mostly. So too much outside storage or sun slamming them all day is a recipie for deminished life and asthetics in my opinion. Try to park at work that will limit the direct sunlight as much as possible.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The cover was replaced about 20 years ago - had about eight years of use, then parked up for ten. It started deteriorating within a month of being pressed into service again, with the vinyl going hard and cracking up into the usual lumps, where it was under most stress, at the front half of the seat.
      I'd occasionally cleaned it with silicone polish but not too often because that just made it slippy, and I'm wondering if the silicones could have affected longevity. Otoh, a decade of use, in total, isn't too bad I suppose, but it just seemed to start falling to bits fairly quickly.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X