Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork tubes, to paint, polish or clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They even have one specially formulated for motorcycles
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

You can treat a chunk of mild steel at one end and leave the other end bare and untouched. Throw the metal out in the yard and get it wet and go back in a few days. Power Seal end is exactly like when you threw it down...and you know what the untreated end looks like.

Like i said, you polish the part and then buff it in real good. It embeds a polymer seal deep into the pores.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-21-2015, 04:08 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Had mine powder coated. look great.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

A guy on the Suzuki 2 stroke forum offers a refinish service. He cleans/polishes them up & uses a gloss clear powder coat final finish for durability.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            +1, it's tough enough for forks. I haven't used the clear stuff yet but I think it would look pretty good. Forks sure look good in gloss black.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              http://wizardsproducts.com/power-seal-8-oz/

ooh! Oh yes, I read that, Chuck and now I am checking it out! It sounds to be more substantial than the Fluid film...

Wizards ® POWER SEAL TM is an easy-to-use liquid
              sealant that preserves the beauty of polished metals
              against corrosives such as ordinary air, humidity,
              water spray and road contaminants such as salt and
              lime. A bonus with POWER SEAL TM is that it buffs
              to a long-lasting, slippery, high-gloss finish that will
              maintain the shine and protect all types of metal sur-
              faces*. This product is designed to give the highest
              luster possible requiring the least amount of effort.
              I'm taken by the claims and results enough to want to buy a tin, but there seem to be no stockists here, although Wizard's themselves appear to sell other stuff via UK Amazon, so I've enquired.
              In the absence of that, I'll just polish and wax and clean regularly. Horrors.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

...That is a recurring problem. The Americans can invent, produce and market special !Wonderments! inside their own bubble and need never bother to go through the nuisance to market their elixirs overseas to puny demographics like Canada or the even the UK...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  You can treat a chunk of mild steel at one end and leave the other end bare and untouched. Throw the metalk out in the yard and get it wet and go back in a few days. Power Seal end is exactly l;ike when you threw it down...and you know what the untreated end looks like.

Like i said, you polish the part and then buff it in real good. It embeds a polymer seal deep into the pores.
                  Thanks. just ordered some of the "motorcycle specific" Wizard's.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                    Thanks. just ordered some of the "motorcycle specific" Wizard's.
                    I ordered some too. Came in the mail yesterday.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                      I ordered some too. Came in the mail yesterday.
                      Great. Let us know your opinion.
                      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Along for the ride. Refinishing some forks and wheels this week too although I now have 5" of snow at my house.

Seriously, I bet it's more snow than I had all year combined and it's the middle of freaking April!! Back in the shed I go although I hear it'll be 70 by the Sunday.

Is this the stuff? http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-22021-.../dp/B005ZHDS6G
                        Last edited by mikerophone; 04-15-2015, 01:42 PM.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          I'm curious what this costs. I really like the look of gloss black forks.

Comment

I had a sub-frame on my Triumph powdered coated a couple of years ago. If I waited while he did a bunch of the same color it was $35.Those fork legs done by the 2-stroke person were holy %$#@ nice! a little spendy,but they look better than new.
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Anybody have an opinion as to whether the Wizard's will hold up on engine cases, considering the heat?
                              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                                Anybody have an opinion as to whether the Wizard's will hold up on engine cases, considering the heat?
                                It's holding up great on my engine covers so far but its only been a week.
                                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                                X