Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850 - I want to remove this huge fairing

Okay so this fairing has got to go: http://i.imgur.com/AnSqLRp.jpg

It rattles, it's heavy and the mounting components make it very difficult to get the valve cover off. I run without a windsheild on my other bike so I won't miss thing awful thing.

I have the fork brackets from a 1980 GS850GL, and the fairing has the headlamp assembly. I'm missing the headlamp housing, so I guess I'll need that. I'll need to find signal brackets too, because the ones I have are attached to the fairing.

I'm lazy and I don't really want to take the forks off to fit the brackets, is there something else I can rig up? Maybe some cool looking dual headlight system that I can bolt on?

There are a few aftermarket headlamp mounting brackets that will split and re-assemble around the fork tube to allow exactly that.
    Last edited by Grimly; 04-02-2015, 01:18 PM. Reason: semi-literate drivel correction
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you have brackets from an 850L, you will need an L headlight, too.

If you want to use the headlight (and bucket) that is in the fairing, you will need to get some G brackets.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If you want to use the headlight (and bucket) that is in the fairing, you will need to get some G brackets.
        Hmm. There's no bucket inside the fairing, just the headlamp attached directly. I'll have to hit up the wrecker to find something suitable, and failing that I'll buy something new.

Comment

Look carefully, there IS a bucket. There HAS to be, there are no brackets on the headlight itself, it sits in the bucket.

On the bottom side of the chrome light bezel is a tab that you need to push to release the bezel. Push it, give the bezel a short turn, it will pop off. What is left is your bucket. It can be used with a set of OEM headlight ears (brackets), I have done that a few times, myself.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks like a car headlamp bucket in that - seen that before.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I went aftermarket and got a headlamp and brackets for $100. Looks great!

Now I've got this big old fairing sitting in the carport. It's yard cleanup week where I am so I'll put it by the side of the house and maybe someone creative will do something with it.

Comment

Originally posted by thewozza View Post
                I went aftermarket and got a headlamp and brackets for $100. Looks great!
                I'll be doing the same thing soon - what aftermarket headlamp and bracket did you go for and could you post some pics or links?
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                X