Price for a paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price for a paint job?

I'm curious to know how much people have payed for a simple, but decent, paint job. My bike is mechanically almost perfect (for a 35 year old) so I think it's worth doing. I don't want to go 'hog wild' because I know I could easily end up with a paint job that costs more than the bike is worth. Besides, I think fancy paint looks odd on an old motorcycle. It has no dings or dents and no rust (so far as I know). Also, I don't think I'm going to have the stripes redone. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Best bet is tom ride it to several body shops in your current area and get many estimates. But an average ( with stripes ) is around 900.00 to 1100 for a real good quality job from most " vintage bike painters " from what I have researched. This is why I am determined to learn the painting end for myself.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You can see two examples of rather inexpensive paint jobs by clicking a few links in my sig.

My wife's 850L was done with very few requests, which included a "dark blue" and a "bright silver", with "an angel on the tank". I have no idea what the actual colors are (Ford, Chevy, etc.), but they were applied somewhat close to the original pattern, so they don't look terribly out of place.

My son's 650L was done a bit differently, he wanted something "different" and went with green. He sketched some graphics to give the painter some inspiration, and we are pleased with the results. We did most of the prep work (stripping and sanding), so the price was kept low.

My wife's bike, including the angel on the tank (hand-painted, not a decal) was $700, my son's bike was $400.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Have you considered doing a powder coat instead? Just as another idea. Powder coating is baked on so it's very durable and fairly inexpensive to do.

This is is what my bike is getting in a couple weeks. http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colo...9/CITY-LIGHTS/

You can get basic colors to some really cool combos. It's pretty endless what you can get.

Comment

Maybe a local vocational school will take it as a painting project in their auto/body shop.

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

I painted mine myself for under $100. Here's the start of the painting part of my last project:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Is the bike in question the 1980 gs1100e? You can get the decals for it.

Red...
              This complete 13 piece decal set contains all stripes originally found on the 1980 GS1100E.

Silver...
              This complete 13 piece decal set contains all stripes originally found on the 1980 GS1100E.

I will be painting my 83 1100e in couple of weeks. My dad is doing it.
              No signature

Comment

Thanks very much to one and all for the good information, advice and suggestions. The prices mentioned seem to be in line with what I've gotten and they sound reasonable as long as it ends up looking nice. I'm going back and forth on the pinstripes but I'm sure it will work out fine, either way. I'm a pretty good painter but I don't paint things that have motors! Thanks, again!
                1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                  I'm a pretty good painter but I don't paint things that have motors! Thanks, again!
                  Check out the threads here about DIY paint jobs. Some are OK, but some are very very good, cost a whole lot less, just as durable if proper materials are used It definitely gives a sense of accomplishment, a lot more so than plopping down a grand or so and picking it up a week later. It does take some time and effort but the results are well worth it.

Here's one:

Here's a thread with some more:

There are lots more on the forum if you have patience to do a good search.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

$250 but it was a friend who used paint he already had on hand and I did the prep.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                    X